Slackware

Post by Davi » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:21:27

Hi,

Could someone give me some advice on Slackware 8.2? I have a new
laptop that i have tried installing SuSE 8.1 on with little success
(it has the ATI mobility radeon issue). I tried Slackware and it all
worked OK'ish. However i am not used to the Slackware way of doing
things.

My first problem is modules. Slackware doesn't appear to use
/etc/modules.conf by default. It loads modules with a script in
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules. My LAN card is a RT8139. The module loads OK
(8139cp.o) with an edit of the rc.modules file. However i have tried
adding the following to modules.conf with appears to be ignored,

#Added by DM 251102 for network set-up?

alias eth0 wl24_cs
alias eth1 8139cp

options wl24_cs io=0x280 irq=7
options 8139cp

I needed this as i have two network cards and i want one as eth0 and
one as eth1. I know this file is being read by modprobe because it
complains whenever i use commands such as irq=11, any ideas?

The second issue is does anyone have the module wl24_cs compiled
against a 2.4.18 kernel they could send me? I ask because the make
file for this module expects the external PCMCIA package to be
installed and i am using the kernel based PCMCIA package.
Alternitively has anyone anay pointers on rewrting the make file to
comile with the kernel packages?

Thanks, David

Slackware

Post by Lew Pitch » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:05:23

On 26 Nov 2002 13:21:27 -0800, in comp.os.linux.setup,

>Hi,

>Could someone give me some advice on Slackware 8.2?

Easy enough. There is no Slackware 8.2

Slackware 8.1 was released in July
Slackware 9.0 is currently under development
There is no Slackware release between 8.1 and 9.0

Quote:>I have a new
>laptop that i have tried installing SuSE 8.1 on with little success
>(it has the ATI mobility radeon issue). I tried Slackware and it all
>worked OK'ish. However i am not used to the Slackware way of doing
>things.

>My first problem is modules. Slackware doesn't appear to use
>/etc/modules.conf by default. It loads modules with a script in
>/etc/rc.d/rc.modules. My LAN card is a RT8139. The module loads OK
>(8139cp.o) with an edit of the rc.modules file. However i have tried
>adding the following to modules.conf with appears to be ignored,

>#Added by DM 251102 for network set-up?

>alias eth0 wl24_cs
>alias eth1 8139cp

>options wl24_cs io=0x280 irq=7
>options 8139cp

>I needed this as i have two network cards and i want one as eth0 and
>one as eth1. I know this file is being read by modprobe because it
>complains whenever i use commands such as irq=11, any ideas?

Add the options you named to the appropriate modprobe lines in
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules (or /etc/rc.d/rc.netdevice, if you enabled it).

Quote:>The second issue is does anyone have the module wl24_cs compiled
>against a 2.4.18 kernel they could send me? I ask because the make
>file for this module expects the external PCMCIA package to be
>installed and i am using the kernel based PCMCIA package.
>Alternitively has anyone anay pointers on rewrting the make file to
>comile with the kernel packages?

Sorry, but I can't help you there

Quote:>Thanks, David

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

Slackware

Post by Davi » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 05:51:45

> On 26 Nov 2002 13:21:27 -0800, in comp.os.linux.setup,

> >Hi,

> >Could someone give me some advice on Slackware 8.2?

> Easy enough. There is no Slackware 8.2

Good point, well made.
Quote:

> Add the options you named to the appropriate modprobe lines in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.modules (or /etc/rc.d/rc.netdevice, if you enabled it).

Does that go for the alias's too?

Regards, David

Slackware

Post by Lew Pitche » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:54:33

>>On 26 Nov 2002 13:21:27 -0800, in comp.os.linux.setup,

[snip]
>>Add the options you named to the appropriate modprobe lines in
>>/etc/rc.d/rc.modules (or /etc/rc.d/rc.netdevice, if you enabled it).

> Does that go for the alias's too?

modprobe(8) says that it will read /etc/modules.conf, so it looks like you can
put your options and alias statements into /etc/modules.conf, and enable the
modprobe for your two NICs in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

In other words, set up

   #--- /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ----
   # .
   # .
   # .
   /sbin/modprobe wl24_cs
   /sbin/modprobe 8139cp
   # .
   # .
   # .
   #---- end of rc.modules ---

and

   #--- /etc/modules.conf
   alias eth0 wl24_cs
   alias eth1 8139cp
   options wl24_cs io=0x280 irq=7
   options 8139cp
   #--- end of modules.conf

and it should all work out OK

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered (Slackware) Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)

Slackware

Post by Davi » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 05:09:54

> modprobe(8) says that it will read /etc/modules.conf, so it looks like you can
> put your options and alias statements into /etc/modules.conf, and enable the
> modprobe for your two NICs in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

> In other words, set up

>    #--- /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ----
>    # .
>    # .
>    # .
>    /sbin/modprobe wl24_cs
>    /sbin/modprobe 8139cp
>    # .
>    # .
>    # .
>    #---- end of rc.modules ---

> and

>    #--- /etc/modules.conf
>    alias eth0 wl24_cs
>    alias eth1 8139cp
>    options wl24_cs io=0x280 irq=7
>    options 8139cp
>    #--- end of modules.conf

> and it should all work out OK

Hi Lew,

That's exactly what i'd thought too. Oh well it looks like i'll have
to play around with the syntax somewhat untill it starts working.

Regards, David

Slackware

Post by Lew Pitche » Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:31:01

>>modprobe(8) says that it will read /etc/modules.conf, so it looks like you can
>>put your options and alias statements into /etc/modules.conf, and enable the
>>modprobe for your two NICs in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

>>In other words, set up

>>   #--- /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ----
>>   # .
>>   # .
>>   # .
>>   /sbin/modprobe wl24_cs
>>   /sbin/modprobe 8139cp
>>   # .
>>   # .
>>   # .
>>   #---- end of rc.modules ---

>>and

>>   #--- /etc/modules.conf
>>   alias eth0 wl24_cs
>>   alias eth1 8139cp
>>   options wl24_cs io=0x280 irq=7
>>   options 8139cp
>>   #--- end of modules.conf

>>and it should all work out OK

> Hi Lew,

> That's exactly what i'd thought too. Oh well it looks like i'll have
> to play around with the syntax somewhat untill it starts working.

Oops, I just noticed something screwy... The /etc/modules.conf "options" lines
should address the _alias_ rather than the _module_.

Try changing the two option lines to...
    options eth0 io=0x280 irq=7
    options eth1

(you could even drop the eth1 options altogether)

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered (Slackware) Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)

1. Slackware Upgrade (Redhat, Slackware, Debian)?

I just purchased the Red Hat Colgate Release and the LSP TRI-Linux
cd-rom set with Slackware, Debian, and Redhat on it.  Couple of
questions.

1.  We have two linux machines that are running kernel 1.2.8 (slackware
2.3) that are doing some things such as (DNS, WWW, Email).  Is is better
to upgrade these to the new slackware withour reinstalling (if it is
possible) or

2.  If that is not possible, what is the easiest way to get to a new
kernal using one of the three.  I don't care which one, unless someone
can give me a good reason to choose.

I guess what I am asking is, what is the easiest way to get from A to B
without major reinstalls and reconfigs.  In case you are wondering, I
bought all three hoping that one would give me a simple upgrade path.

MarkS

2. Bill Gates Is A Baby-Eater

3. slackware 1.1.1 + LaTeX2e (from slackware 1.1.2)

4. Disktab for WD 280 Needed

5. Slackware 3.3, Slackware 3.4, SC875, n_53c8xx.s bootdisk

6. Is tulip 21143 finally in red hat 6.2?

7. slackware=slackware/slakware?

8. DNS resolv order

9. Slackware 1.1.0 Xconfig.1M & Xfree86 Warnings (Was Slackware 1.1.0 is good!)

10. Installing 'X' from SlackWare 2.2.0 in a SlackWare 3.0 system?

11. What makes Slackware well Slackware

12. To Slackware or not to Slackware

13. Upgrading from Slackware 8.0 to Slackware 8.1