Burning REDHAT image on CDR

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,

> My friend has a cable modem and a CDR-recorder.  He is also using Win95.
> Would it be possible for his to download the .rpm packages from Redhat's ftp
> site and burn them onto CDROM for me to install on my machine?  I haven't
> been keeping up to date with the newest going ons in Linux for about 2.5
> years so I'm not sure how much the installations procedures have changed.
> I assume that I could boot from the Redhat Image disks and then mount this
> Joliet-style CDR and install Redhat from there?  Anybody see a problem with
> this stategy?  Thanks.

It's possible.  Check my web site on the subject:

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/rhjol.html

Please read it, don't just glance at it!  There are a lot of potential
pitfalls, and if you don't read all the relevant sections, chances are
very good you'll fall into one of them.

Alternatively, for ~$7 you can buy a CD from LSL (http://www.lsl.com),
Cheap*Bytes (http://www.cheapbytes.com), or various others.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me
Author of _Special Edition Using WordPerfect for Linux_, from Que;
see http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/books.html

1. Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
But...
I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

Linux box:
Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
Windows machine:
Burn with some proper software that handel my image-format.  ???

Please give some advice I need help on this problem.

Best Regards / Per-Ove

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. what is i_next_alloc_goal ?

3. Help burning CDR (iso) image

4. HP SureStore DAT8

5. Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

6. When plugging in Fritz AVM I get "HiSax2: No such device"

7. Burned Redhat 5.1 CDR fails - please help

8. Zip Plus driver for parallel mode

9. Redhat - how to d/l and burn the whole distribution on a CDR?

10. RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

11. CD burning issues under redhat with all burning applications

12. which file system to use for burning CDR?

13. Reading second track of a burned CDR