glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2

Post by ridz » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:46:58

Could some Linux guru out there tell me whether it is possible to have both
glibc 2.1 and 2.2 co-exist on the same system? FYI, my system is a Redhat
7.1 with all the latest patches/updates applied. The reason for asking is
that I have an application that requires the ver 2.1 glibc while I have the
2.2 glibc installed. The application is Corel WordPerfect Office 2000.

--
Regards,
Ridzwan Abdullah

glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2

Post by Muhd Zamri Muhd Suharin » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:16:22

Hi...

Just install the glibc2.1 library in your system...Actually, you can have two
versions of glibc coexist.

Do you Linux ?

> Could some Linux guru out there tell me whether it is possible to have both
> glibc 2.1 and 2.2 co-exist on the same system? FYI, my system is a Redhat
> 7.1 with all the latest patches/updates applied. The reason for asking is
> that I have an application that requires the ver 2.1 glibc while I have the
> 2.2 glibc installed. The application is Corel WordPerfect Office 2000.

> --
> Regards,
> Ridzwan Abdullah

glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2

Post by Swif » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:33:23

>  Could some Linux guru out there tell me whether it is possible to have both
>  glibc 2.1 and 2.2 co-exist on the same system? FYI, my system is a Redhat
>  7.1 with all the latest patches/updates applied. The reason for asking is
>  that I have an application that requires the ver 2.1 glibc while I have the
>  2.2 glibc installed. The application is Corel WordPerfect Office 2000.

There are packages that provide compatibility with older glibc-versions
(glibc-compat).

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

1. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Using a RedHat 6.x distro, I have a lot of things updated:

kernel 2.2.19 with reiserfs
glibc 2.1.3
binutils 2.9.5
cpp 2.95
gcc 2.95
gcc-c++ 2.95
qt 2.3
Xfree 4.0.3
kde 2.1

As you can see above, I have upgraded gcc from 2.9.1 ( that came with
egcs ) to gcc 2.95 ( from libc6 contrib RPM ) due to a compiler bug that
I encounered compiling qt 2.3 with "march=i686".

However, I wanted to upgrade from kde 2.1 to kde 2.1.1. Since there are
no RPMs for RedHat6.x of kde 2.1.1, I downloaded the SRPMS and try to
build the RPMs and install them. Building kdesupport went okay ( with
"rpm -bb --target=i686 kdesupport-2.1.spec" ). Now I am trying to build
kdedoc with "rpm -bb --target=i686 kdedoc-2.1.1.spec". However, the
build requires perl 5.6.0, which in turn requires glibc 2.2.

With the exception of installing a new distro, I have not done a major
glibc upgrade. So my questions are:

1) Is it safe? Will the existing apps that were compiled, static or
shared, with glibc 2.1 still work with glibc 2.2? The only information I
can find about this is on the link below:

        http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/glibc-FAQ.html#2.3

... but it seems that the document is about a move from libc5  to libc6.
Is there a more updated version of this doc specifically for a move from
glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2?

2) Has anyone with a RedHat 6.x distro done this, using the glibc-2.2
RPMS from rawhide?

Any help appreciated,

John
--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:

2. weird cdrom problem part(2) -- please!!

3. Can primary glibc 2.1.x coexist with non-primary glibc 2.2.x WRT shared binaries?

4. finger not working properly on 2.2.1 & 2.2.2

5. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

6. How to increase speed of MouseSystems mouse in X?

7. glibc 2.0 or glibc 2.1

8. LPRng and magicfilter is that the answer

9. glibc 2.1/glibc 1.99

10. How to upgrade glibc 2.1 to 2.2

11. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2?

12. glibc 2.1 -> 2.2 update issue