HELP: RedHat 3.03 CD install problem

Post by Jeff Beckma » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

MS Windows 3.1 recognizes my CD ROM, but Linux doesn't.

I bought a Multimedia kit that came with a HiFidelity 16 bit
sound card and a IDE CD ROM.  When MS Windows boots, the
CD driver prints to the screen that the CD ROM is an
IDE/ATAPI CD ROM.  But when I am installing Linux (using
the Floppyless install mechanism that RedHat provides)
it can not find the CD ROM, and then I get a kernel panic
because it can not mount the root filesystem (which I am
guessing is the CD ROM).

When MS Windows boots, it initializes the sound card, and
the initialization prints to the screen that the card is
being initialized in Sound Blaster Pro mode.  So I retried
the Linux installation choosing Sound Blaster as my CD ROM
interface (instead of IDE).  It prompts me for boot parameters.
I first tried no parameters.  It probed 20 some odd ports
looking for the CD ROM.  It didn't find it, then it paniced
as above.  I retried the installation using the port numbers
the MS Win sound card installation program reports are being
used.  It reported 3 ports.  One port was the CD ROM, one
was some chip name or something, and one had no clear
qualifier, but I assume it is the sound card it self.  I have
retried all of those, and nothing has worked.  My boot param
line is of the form:  "sbpcd=0x170,SoundBlaster"
I also tried choosing IDE as my CD ROM interface, and then
adding the boot param, but that failed also.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

I'm going to try building floppy disks tonight, but I don't
have much hope that that is the problem.

Thanks!

Jeff

Post by Douglas Ha » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>MS Windows 3.1 recognizes my CD ROM, but Linux doesn't.

>I bought a Multimedia kit that came with a HiFidelity 16 bit
>sound card and a IDE CD ROM.  When MS Windows boots, the
>CD driver prints to the screen that the CD ROM is an
>IDE/ATAPI CD ROM.  But when I am installing Linux (using
>the Floppyless install mechanism that RedHat provides)
>it can not find the CD ROM, and then I get a kernel panic
>because it can not mount the root filesystem (which I am
>guessing is the CD ROM).

(snip)

I had a similar problem with the same panic. In my case I had two IDE
hard drives on the primary IDE port and the CD ROM on the secondary
port. This worked fine under DOS, but I couldn't install Linux. In
digging around I found that the IDE CD-ROM was jumpered as a slave, so
Linux didn't see it as the device I thought it was. I made the drive a
master and it worked fine. Note that the DOS driver didn't seem to
care, so it's worth checking. Once I did that the floppyless install
went just fine.

Doug Hall, KF4KL
Linux Newbie

1. Help with redhat 3.03 install on win95 system, please

Ok maybe some of you linux gurus out there can give me some advice, or
at the least tell me if I'm digging water on this. ;)

I'm running a dell dimension xp133 with 32 megs edo and a 2.0 gig IDE
hard drive, and a teac 56e cdrom drive on its own IDE ( I'm fairly
sure).
        The harddrive is currently partitioned in C, D, E, and F.
C contains, of course, my win95 operating files and a few utilities.
It is 255 megs with about 70 megs free.

D is compressed with doublespace or whatever they are calling it
today.

E is currently empty and is 509 megs.

F is compressed the same as D.

In Dos my cd-rom is G

Question: is it possible to install linux (I'm using redhat 3.03 with
the 1213 kernel) onto drive E even if D and F are both compressed?
So far I've had no luck with it. I have been unable to set the empty
partition to linux native using fdisk. When I do run fdisk or cdisk it
shows me as having two identical drives hda and hdc, I'm thinking it
is skipping over the D partition which would be hdb since it can't
read it.  I have tried to use fdisk on hdc but it always errors out on
it saying something to the effect that it can't open the drive or read
the drive, when I partitioned the drive using partition magic I
created  the partioned as unformatted, should I have set it as
extended instead?

Question2: When I try to run linux from the live file system on the
cdrom it is unable to find my cdrom, is this connected to any of the
above situations? As I said I'm using a teac 56e IDE, now I've tried
setting it for different drives but it does not seem to find it.  The
documentation says the teac-55a needs to use the soundblaster settings
but that didnt seem to work either. Any ideas?

Sean connolly

2. xcdroast: multi session - sessions do not match

3. RedHat 3.03 and Comtrol RocketPort Driver Install Problem

4. RAM Ados <> RAM NetBSD ???

5. Redhat 3.03 install problem

6. Apache auth user management?

7. Redhat: Can MetroX from 3.03 CD be used with 4.1?

8. Why is setting time backward a [bad thing]?

9. Redhat 3.03 + CD-ROM = NO GO!

10. RedHat 3.03 failed to install

11. Installing ftape on RedHat 3.03 Linux

12. Installed Redhat 3.03 and now telnet doesn't work...

13. Installing Redhat 3.03 Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300