Newbie Modem Question

Post by kayak5 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've successfully installed SuSE 6.4; all's well, as far as it
goes.  I have a Winmodem on my Celeron 333 computer and thus am
unable to connect to the 'net.  How, exactly, do I proceed to
uninstall and reinstall a modem able to connect under Linux? Will
I need to reinstall SuSE once I add a new modem?   Also, any
recommendations for a good Linux modem?  I've been looking at the
ActionTec 56k Call-Waiting model, internal.  Any advantage to
going for an external model?  TIA!

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Newbie Modem Question

Post by Homer Ja » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I've successfully installed SuSE 6.4; all's well, as far as it
> goes.  I have a Winmodem on my Celeron 333 computer and thus am
> unable to connect to the 'net.  How, exactly, do I proceed to
> uninstall and reinstall a modem able to connect under Linux? Will
> I need to reinstall SuSE once I add a new modem?   Also, any
> recommendations for a good Linux modem?  I've been looking at the
> ActionTec 56k Call-Waiting model, internal.  Any advantage to
> going for an external model?  TIA!

To uninstall you winmodem: shutdown your computer, remove the
winmodem, find a suitable place for the winmodem (like in the
garbage or a yardsale). Winmodems hit the CPU anyway.

You can use pretty much any real modem with linux, or so says the
linux HCL. I bought a A/Open 56K something-or-other. The directions
were in that maddening winhelp format, so I had to download a program
to decompile them: helpdeco. That was probably unecessary since the
jumper settings on that ISA modem were printed on the card's backside,
which was nice. So, select a good modem, with faxing if you want it,
and with instructions and info in a format you can read.

The advantage of an external modem are that you get to see the purty
lights and it does not drain the power supply. This is not really
that good an argument for an external, but I guess you also can move
it between machines with ease. You do _not_ need to reinstall SuSE.
Last, run your favorite configuration tool to setup the modem.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Newbie Modem Question

Post by Christopher Ada » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>> I've successfully installed SuSE 6.4; all's well, as far as it
>> goes.  I have a Winmodem on my Celeron 333 computer and thus am
>> unable to connect to the 'net.  How, exactly, do I proceed to
>> uninstall and reinstall a modem able to connect under Linux? Will
>> I need to reinstall SuSE once I add a new modem?   Also, any
>> recommendations for a good Linux modem?  I've been looking at the
>> ActionTec 56k Call-Waiting model, internal.  Any advantage to
>> going for an external model?  TIA!

>The advantage of an external modem are that you get to see the purty
>lights and it does not drain the power supply. This is not really
>that good an argument for an external, but I guess you also can move
>it between machines with ease. You do _not_ need to reinstall SuSE.
>Last, run your favorite configuration tool to setup the modem.

There is another advantage to the external modem....  I have had
conditions where due to minor software problems, the modem did not
initialize correctly.   With an external modem, I was able to power
down/up the modem, and initialization took place without further
problems.

Chris

1. Newbie Modem Question

Hi,
I just installed Mandrake 8.0 on my Dell Deminsion L800r with
Partition Magic running also Windows ME.  I cannot get Mandrake to
recognize the modem and I get the message, "Modem is busy"  My modem
is a Aztech MDP3380-W(U) PCI Modem.  Is there some basic instructions
or someone that can help me understand how to get internet access
through this modem on Mandrake 8.0 ?  Any help would be appreciated!
Thank You
Charles

2. slow IP after reconnect

3. Hardware newbie: modem question

4. Top Ten Stocks To Short

5. Newbie modem question re "PNP"

6. Can't get MacOSX working with Linux DHCP server

7. Clueless newbie modem question

8. Marketing & open source

9. Newbie Modem Question

10. newbie modem question with redhat 5.2

11. newbie modem questions

12. linux newbie modem question

13. newbie modem question