S3/Virge (Stealth 3D 2000)

Post by Gerard Jungm » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have a Stealth 3D 2000 (S3/Virge) card with 4MB and a
Hitachi Superscan Elite 17". This came with my new Micron Millenia...
I have no trouble running in 1024x768 or 1280x1024 in 8 bpp, or in
1024x768 at 16 bpp. But I cannot force the thing to
run reasonably at 1280x1024 at 16 bpp.

In 8 bpp mode the server autodetects the RAMDAC and
reports 135 MHz maximum, which is adequate. But when
started in 16 bpp it reports a 80 MHz maximum, which
is not enough for running 1280x1024 w/o massive flicker.
At least this is what I decided after hours of fiddling
with XF86Config and a calculator. (Maybe I still don't
understand this though...)

I did not think this mode would be a problem for the hardware.
But I do not know if this is a hardware or a server issue.
Is the card doing some kind of multiplexing?

Does somebody know what to do for this hardware?

Much thanks in advance,
Jerry Jungman