Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

Post by Onno Ebbing » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I want to mount a CD-ROM (or ISO file, or directory) that
resides on my RH Linux 6.0 server over my network and my
WIN NT 4 machine must report it as a CD-ROM.

I've posted this question on some NT newsgroups but there
were mostly brain dead people...

I think I need a NT 4 device driver who can pull this off
but I can't find one. If it's really necessary I can write
the driver (I have the NT 4 DDK stuff) but I prefer a download...

Onno.

Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

Post by Joel Burto » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I need some clarification: are you mounting this as a samba share, but to
WinNT it looks like a HD?

Quote:> I want to mount a CD-ROM (or ISO file, or directory) that

Post by Onno Ebbing » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I need some clarification: are you mounting this as a samba share, but to
> WinNT it looks like a HD?

Yep.

Onno.

> > I want to mount a CD-ROM (or ISO file, or directory) that
> > resides on my RH Linux 6.0 server over my network and my
> > WIN NT 4 machine must report it as a CD-ROM.

> > I've posted this question on some NT newsgroups but there
> > were mostly brain dead people...

> > I think I need a NT 4 device driver who can pull this off
> > but I can't find one. If it's really necessary I can write
> > the driver (I have the NT 4 DDK stuff) but I prefer a download...

> > Onno.

Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

Post by Greg Menk » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I've seen a little program which does this- you get a drive mapping,
this program creates another one which gives a view of the first as if
it were a CD.  But for the life of me I can't remember its name.  A
guy I know was using it to get around stupid copy protection stuff.

Gregm

> > > I want to mount a CD-ROM (or ISO file, or directory) that
> > > resides on my RH Linux 6.0 server over my network and my
> > > WIN NT 4 machine must report it as a CD-ROM.

> > > I've posted this question on some NT newsgroups but there
> > > were mostly brain dead people...

> > > I think I need a NT 4 device driver who can pull this off
> > > but I can't find one. If it's really necessary I can write
> > > the driver (I have the NT 4 DDK stuff) but I prefer a download...

Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

Post by Onno Ebbing » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thats the one I need! Please think hard or call your friend...
I would be very greatfull...

Thanks in advance,

Onno.

> I've seen a little program which does this- you get a drive mapping,
> this program creates another one which gives a view of the first as if
> it were a CD.  But for the life of me I can't remember its name.  A
> guy I know was using it to get around stupid copy protection stuff.

> Gregm

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 3 of 6)

3. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

4. CDE: how do I change the welcome images?

5. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

6. Solution to my problem with HP 35480A DAT streamer

7. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

8. L440GX , Adaptec AIC7xx and RedHat SCSI Errors

9. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

10. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

11. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

12. CD-ROm ? WHat CD-ROM

13. Universal CD-ROM resells LINUX CD-ROM