Installed Lilo to Master Boot Record, now can't install WinNT

Installed Lilo to Master Boot Record, now can't install WinNT

Post by DM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I wanted to create a dual boot,with Linux and WinNT.  I accidentally wiped
out the drive that had the Linux installation, and now I can't continue with
the WinNT installation, I get to the point where  I am prompted to reboot
during the install, but it won't boot up.  It see my keyboard, mouse and
drives are detected, but it stops with the following "LI", as if it is going
to start LILO, but nothing happens.  Any help would be greatly appreciated,
as I have several WinNT projects I need completed.  By the way, I had
installed LILO to the master boot record.

Installed Lilo to Master Boot Record, now can't install WinNT

Post by lcs3.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I wanted to create a dual boot,with Linux and WinNT.  I accidentally
wiped
> out the drive that had the Linux installation, and now I can't
continue with
> the WinNT installation, I get to the point where  I am prompted to
reboot
> during the install, but it won't boot up.  It see my keyboard, mouse
and
> drives are detected, but it stops with the following "LI", as if it is
going
> to start LILO, but nothing happens.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated,
> as I have several WinNT projects I need completed.  By the way, I had
> installed LILO to the master boot record.

you can boot a dos floppy and run:

fdisk /MBR

to recover your Master Boot Record.

LILO saves the original MBR in /boot/<major><minor>.something
the first time it's run, but I guess that's gone?  You could also
reinstall linux and LILO.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I wanted to create a dual boot,with Linux and WinNT.  I accidentally wiped
>out the drive that had the Linux installation, and now I can't continue with
>the WinNT installation, I get to the point where  I am prompted to reboot
>during the install, but it won't boot up.  It see my keyboard, mouse and
>drives are detected, but it stops with the following "LI", as if it is going
>to start LILO, but nothing happens.  Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>as I have several WinNT projects I need completed.  By the way, I had
>installed LILO to the master boot record.

You have to remove LILO from the mbr.  Get a dos boot floppy with fdisk
and perhaps format on it and boot with it.  Do a fdisk /mbr a few times.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. rhlinux can't install linux on master boot record?

Hi, i'm a newbie with linux trying to take the power back from microsoft,
and i spent the entire  weekend installing redhat 6.0 and always failing at
the same place:  where to install lilo.  I tried to install it at the master
boot record.  this didn't work.  my hard drive is in lba mode, so i had the
install option in linear mode as everyone says to do, by the way.  Then i
tried the other option, which was something like the first sector of the
/boot partition or something, which didn't work either.  I read that you can
only have four partitions, so i only had four partitions, probably less
since diskdruid is supposed to make logical partitions.  This should not be
the source of the problem.
    Actually i think my problem is that when i specify the mount point in
diskdruid, i have the 128 mb swap partition, i have the <16 mb /boot, and
then i don't know what else to do.  do i mount one as /usr?  what's this one
/var?  do i need this crap?  i don't know.  I'm very highly confused.  I'm
thinking about just screwing windows and linux and going with solaris.
Please help, because nobody likes solaris and i don't want to be a reject.
None of my linux guru friends can help me for another week, and i have
homework to do.  i had to reinstall windows just to write this post, please
respond directly via email!

2. environment variables

3. Installing a Different Linux over Existing - Effect on Master Boot Record

4. Curtin ppa driver 1.21 doesn't work with my zip drive

5. Install faile dto create MRB (Master Boot Record) on 13G HDD

6. Mouse Setup: Manditory Kernel Recompile?

7. Emergency: WinNT+Linux+LILO Cannot boot from HD after installed ReadHat 5.1

8. ld.so 1.3 -- what the heck is it?

9. Removing LILO from Master Boot Record

10. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

11. LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

12. master boot record -- LILO ATTACK

13. delCMOS.B, master boot record, lilo