Problem Set up A IDE CD-ROM as the forth IDE device under Win95

Problem Set up A IDE CD-ROM as the forth IDE device under Win95

Post by Wei W » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I recently got a Nakamichi MJ4.4 IDE 4 disc quad speed CD-ROM changer.
I am trying to make it work with my machine under Windows 95.

I have an old Pentium computer. My BIOS is old AMI bios that does not
support drives greater than 512M byte and does not support secondary
IDE port.

But I have a CMD6400-E PCI EIDE controller. (I know it is buggy.)
Currently I have three IDE and EIDE harddisk connected to the
controller. (One WD, one Conner on the first port, and One WD on the
second port) I also have a SCSI controller in my computer with 2 SCSI
harddisks and one SCSI CD-ROM. Currently this setup works fine. I load
a dos device driver in config.sys so that my computer will recongnize
the second port and support drives > 500M. Then Windows 95 loads and
works fine.

Now since EIDE controller supports 4 devices, I want to put the CD-ROM
changer as the forth EIDE device. So I configured the WD harddisk as a
master with another drive and configured the CD-ROM changer as slave,
and connected them on the cable of the secondary IDE port.

After I boot up the machine and the dos device loaded, the machine
only recognize the two drives on the primary port and only the
harddisk on the secondary port, did not recognize the CD-ROM
changer. It did not see the CD-ROM changer after I loaded Windows 95 either.

The strange thing is: I also run Linux on my machine. After I set up
the connection. When I boot Linux, Linux saw all the four devices on
the EIDE ports, and worked fine as far as I can tell (can access file
system on a CD etc.). So seems like the wiring and setup should be fine.

My question is: Can anyone share some lights on what could be the
problem ? Any possible software driver confilict under DOS/Windows 95
? Why the same setup worked under Linux ? Is there any way to make it work?

Thanks.

Problem Set up A IDE CD-ROM as the forth IDE device under Win95

Post by Mikkel L. Ellerts » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I recently got a Nakamichi MJ4.4 IDE 4 disc quad speed CD-ROM changer.
>I am trying to make it work with my machine under Windows 95.

>I have an old Pentium computer. My BIOS is old AMI bios that does not
>support drives greater than 512M byte and does not support secondary
>IDE port.

   <snip>

>Now since EIDE controller supports 4 devices, I want to put the CD-ROM
>changer as the forth EIDE device. So I configured the WD harddisk as a
>master with another drive and configured the CD-ROM changer as slave,
>and connected them on the cable of the secondary IDE port.

>After I boot up the machine and the dos device loaded, the machine
>only recognize the two drives on the primary port and only the
>harddisk on the secondary port, did not recognize the CD-ROM
>changer. It did not see the CD-ROM changer after I loaded Windows 95 either.

  <snip>
Just a dumb question - did you load a device driver in DOS for this
drive, or tell WIN95 that you added hardware and provide a driver disk for
this drive?  Under DOS/Windows you have to have a device driver in the
config.sys file so that the system will see an IDE CD-ROM.  Linux has
the drivers for the IDE CD-ROM as an optional part of the IDE interface
code.  You probably had that option enabled, so Linux sees the drive.

--

WWW:    http://www.execpc.com/~mikkel

1. Problems with 2nd IDE i/f and IDE CD-ROM on Compaq Presario CDS 972

Hello...I have a Compaq Presario CDS 972, with two IDE hard drives, and a IDE
CD-ROM drive...I have the two HD's hooked up to the first IDE interface.  No
problem with that.  However, I tried to hook my IDE CD-ROM (I beleive it's a
Mitsumi) to the 2nd IDE interface...neither DOS nor Linux recognizes that it's
even there.  Also, when I boot linux, I see:

ide0: primary interface on irq 14

But nothing about ide1.  How can I enable the second IDE interface?

Thanks in advance!

-R

President & CEO, Riv Software Labs               http://pinenet.com/~robertl/
"There are many intelligent species in the universe.  They all own cats."
                -- Unknown

2. [2.5][13/15] smp_call_function/_on_cpu - uml

3. Boot problem on Plato with large IDE/small IDE/CD-ROM

4. Changing mouse IRQ

5. Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

6. Diamond Sound Card - Need Help

7. IDE CD Writer and IDE CD-ROM

8. Linux on Toshiba 730XCDT

9. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

10. replacing IDE CD-ROM with IDE CD-RW - kernel panic!

11. E-IDE HD and E-IDE CD-ROM on Toshiba

12. 2nd IDE / IDE CD-ROM / maplay wanted. Help!

13. IDE CD-Rom + IDE HD, same controller?