modem and new

Post by Andrew Cahil » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Help,
        I'm sure this is very trivial but I cannot even figure out how to
configure a new modem in Linux.  Could someone tell me how to install a new
modem on Linux?  Like how you link a modem to cua1 and where you tell it
IRQ's ...  Does this have to get configured in the kernel?

-thank you very much
-andrew

modem and new

Post by Peter Smit » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Here's a reply to my previous posting.  It should set you in the right
direction:

For a modem, you don't need to install anything except the software
that will drive the modem (which is undoubtedly already installed),
whether it's seyon, or minicom, or dip, or ppp-demon, or whatever.

When you start to set up the modem: If it's on your first serial port
(in msdos, called com1), then you use either /dev/cua0 or /dev/ttyS0.
If it's on your second serial port (in msdos, called com2), then you
use either /dev/cua1 of /dev/ttyS1.

The business about choosing between /dev/cua0 or /dev/ttyS0 is usually
your choice; for most things (perhaps for all things), they're
equivalent.  My modem is at /dev/cua1, so to avoid confusing myself
(since I never remember this stuff), I created a symlink to it called
/dev/modem by giving the command

  ln -s /dev/cua1 /dev/modem

and then I just always set things up to use /dev/modem.

Phil Hirschhorn

 --
--Peter--

modem and new

Post by Sid Boyc » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Help,
>         I'm sure this is very trivial but I cannot even figure out how to
> configure a new modem in Linux.  Could someone tell me how to install a new
> modem on Linux?  Like how you link a modem to cua1 and where you tell it
> IRQ's ...  Does this have to get configured in the kernel?

> -thank you very much
> -andrew

        I hope some of the stuff appended is useful.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

[ pnpmodem 1K ]
    Get isapnptools from somewhere like sunsite.unc.edu in the debian
distribution.
Do pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf
Edit /etc/isapnp.conf and uncomment the desired lines...... e.g.
(IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             Low true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE -E)))
.
.
.
.
#     End dependent functions
(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x12 (BAD)
        Next run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" and setserial, would suggest an irq
be chosen that doesn't conflict with an existing serial port. You can place
the commands in your /etc/rc.d/rc.serial file so it takes care of it all
during boot up. Below is what I've set mine to .........
        My modem reported COM3 IRQ4 port 0x3e8 under dos install.
# Latest 2.1 kernels (2.0.3x ???) needs spd_normal
/bin/setserial /dev/cua2 port 0x3e8 irq 5 uart 16550A skip_test  spd_vhi
/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
        There are a number of GUI setups that make it easy, I use xisp, but
here is a script I used previously.
debug /dev/cua2 57600 debug modem defaultroute noipdefault
tail -f -n 10 /var/log/messages
        The "tail" above lets you monitor progress of the connection and can
be terminated by ^C.

modem and new

Post by Brian McCaule » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>    I'm sure this is very trivial but I cannot even figure out how to
> configure a new modem in Linux.  Could someone tell me how to install a new
> modem on Linux?  Like how you link a modem to cua1 and where you tell it
> IRQ's ...  Does this have to get configured in the kernel?

"man setserial" or see the Serial-HOWTO.