Help with basic sendmail config

Post by Ataraxi » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have just recently downloaded sendmail 8.9.0 for my box running
Linux 2.0.33. Sendmail compiled without a problem, but I don't
know what to do next! I know I have to create a sendmail.cf file
from the files in the cf/ directory. I read the README in that
directory, but I can't make anything of it. I need some examples
or someplace to go next.

--

 Official Defunct Poet of alt.books.m-lackey
 Proud Red Hat Linux user

Post by Mr. Anti Spa » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have just recently downloaded sendmail 8.9.0 for my box running
> Linux 2.0.33. Sendmail compiled without a problem, but I don't
> know what to do next! I know I have to create a sendmail.cf file
> from the files in the cf/ directory. I read the README in that
> directory, but I can't make anything of it. I need some examples
> or someplace to go next.

These lines in the mc file are mandatory if you
are using slackware get the smailcfg.tgz file
in the n4 disk set and install it,  will install
in /usr/src/sendmail get the local.m4 from it
and copy it to
/usr/src/sendmail-8.9.0/cf/mailer/local.m4

VERSIONID(`<My sendmail config v1.0>')dnl
OSTYPE(linux)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

Be sure to mkdir /etc/mail and to touch
relay-domains  as anti-relay is on by default now.
If you
need to let others relay then add them to
/etc/mail/relay-domains.

Next two lines are optional and are used for
masquerading. You need to create an
/etc/sendmail.cw
and put domains you receive mail as, you can add
multiple Masquerade_as lines to send mail under
different domain names.

FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(myspiffyname.dyn.ml.org)dnl

Now

cd /usr/src/sendmail-8.9.0/cf
m4 m4/cf.m4 myspiffymcfile.mc > sendmail.cf
if you have a sendmail.cf back it up
mv /etc/sendmail.cf /etc/sendmail.oem
Then
cp sendmail.cf /etc/sendmail
and restart sendmail and check /var/log/messages
and syslog for problems
killall -HUP sendmail

Send some mail

http://www.sendmail.org has a configuration guide
and other than the slackware local.m4 file being
non-standard their document is excellent. READ IT

1. **EMERGENCY*** CONFIG HELP Sendmail Redhat 5.0 Please help

I had hard disk crash and had to put another machine in for our domain very
quickly.  The original name of the machine
was named "test" and the domain is futurenet.net

I changed the /etc/HOSTNAME to neon from test which was the name of the
machine that went belly up.  The machine
that went belly up was running slakware.

Redhat 5.0 has the latest sendmail I am told.  Anyway.....

The problem is that all mail that comes to that machine comes as

work, can someone please tell me

Out mail is bouncing right and left, thanks very much for your help.

help).

Thanks very much.

Steve

2. Solaris x86 on Dell Dim XPS PP200

3. Sendmail Basics -- please help

4. SCSI disk I/O error

5. Fetchmail/sendmail: need basic help

6. laptop or desktop - advise reqd

7. Help! newbie basic networking/sendmail problem

8. Marconi RB2 trackball

9. Need help with sendmail basic configuration

10. sendmail-config vs. sendmail RPMS?

11. Help with sendmail config

12. Help! Solaris 7 sendmail config

13. Sendmail 8.6.9 Config PLEASE HELP!