Help! PCMCIA and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>  Linux sees the PCMCIA ethernet adapter, but I
> still cannot access the Internet.  I'm trying to install the
> pcmcia-cs-3.1.21 package.

(Why?  Can't your version make the adapter work already?)

Quote:>                            When I type "make config" the next prompt I
> get it is to enter the Linux source directory.  I don't know what to
> enter!  What do I enter?

The PCMCIA HOWTO tells you that you need to have the kernel
source tree (for whichever kernel you will be running the
PCMCIA modules with) installed (see
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html).
Traditionally the location is /usr/src/linux.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

Help! PCMCIA and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Spense » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:25:05

I've installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 on my laptop.  I've read just about
every HOW-TO I can find and followed the instructions, but I must be
missing something.  Linux sees the PCMCIA ethernet adapter, but I
still cannot access the Internet.  I'm trying to install the
pcmcia-cs-3.1.21 package.  When I type "make config" the next prompt I
get it is to enter the Linux source directory.  I don't know what to
enter!  What do I enter?

Also,  I run DrakConf and check the Hardware condiguration.  under
"Other" my PCMCIA socket is listed as "Texas Instruments PCI -1250"

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Help! PCMCIA and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Spense » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:30:27

>>  Linux sees the PCMCIA ethernet adapter, but I
>> still cannot access the Internet.  I'm trying to install the
>> pcmcia-cs-3.1.21 package.

>(Why?  Can't your version make the adapter work already?)

>>                            When I type "make config" the next prompt I
>> get it is to enter the Linux source directory.  I don't know what to
>> enter!  What do I enter?

>The PCMCIA HOWTO tells you that you need to have the kernel
>source tree (for whichever kernel you will be running the
>PCMCIA modules with) installed (see
>http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html).
>Traditionally the location is /usr/src/linux.

I really haven't installed anything to get the PCMCIA ethernet
recognized. So, maybe a better question is this:  Do I need to install
drivers/packages/etc.  for  the PCMCIA sockets?  When I use the probe
command, I get this: PCI bridge probe: TI 1250A found.

It may be a dumb question since the PCMCIA ethernet adapter is seen.
What leads me to this question is that I cannot get Internet access.

Help! PCMCIA and Mandrake 7.1

Post by Paul Kimo » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:19:09

> I really haven't installed anything to get the PCMCIA ethernet
> recognized. So, maybe a better question is this:  Do I need to install
> drivers/packages/etc.  for  the PCMCIA sockets?  When I use the probe
> command, I get this: PCI bridge probe: TI 1250A found.

Note that this tells something about the hardware that the PCMCIA cards
plug into, not the cards themselves.

Quote:> It may be a dumb question since the PCMCIA ethernet adapter is seen.
> What leads me to this question is that I cannot get Internet access.

The pcmcia-cs user-space programs need to be installed, and the pcmcia
kernel modules need to be available.  You can tell whether a card is
identified by running "cardctl ident", and see its status with "cardctl
status".  (That's probably located at /sbin/cardctl.)

You can see whether a network card is up and running by running "ifconfig"
(probably "ifconfig eth0" should do): the third line will say "UP" or not.
If it's UP, but not doing what you want, you probably need to change the
options associated with the address (or the routing, etc.).  If it's not
yet UP, you probably need to specify those options; they belong in the
network.opts file.

See the PCMCIA HOWTO
 http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html
especially sections 2 and 4.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
and may be a violation of international copyright law.

Help! PCMCIA and Mandrake 7.1

Post by dj.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yeah, I was about to say just this.  I had been torchering myself for
a long time about actually don't something with the pcmcia card
because as far as I knew, lights were on, it was working.  However,
the problem is most likely that your ethernet card is not activated.
I find the easiest thing to do is to run
netcfg
and go to adapters and you will see eth0...just activate it and away
you go!

Dan

Post by Spense » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:30:07

>> I really haven't installed anything to get the PCMCIA ethernet
>> recognized. So, maybe a better question is this:  Do I need to install
>> drivers/packages/etc.  for  the PCMCIA sockets?  When I use the probe
>> command, I get this: PCI bridge probe: TI 1250A found.

>Note that this tells something about the hardware that the PCMCIA cards
>plug into, not the cards themselves.

>> It may be a dumb question since the PCMCIA ethernet adapter is seen.
>> What leads me to this question is that I cannot get Internet access.

>The pcmcia-cs user-space programs need to be installed, and the pcmcia
>kernel modules need to be available.  You can tell whether a card is
>identified by running "cardctl ident", and see its status with "cardctl
>status".  (That's probably located at /sbin/cardctl.)

I did it.  I am able to get on the Internet.  I was making things more
complicated than necessary.  I never did install the pcmcia-cs
package. Since Linux saw the card, I figured there was no need to
install the package.  The next hurdle to getting on the Internet was a
configuration issue.  I'm on a cable modem that uses DHCP.  I
installed the DHCP RPM from the CD and that was it.  Seemed too easy,
but it's working!!  Thanks for you help.

Help! PCMCIA and Mandrake 7.1

Post by dj.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Congratulations!!!  Isn't it exciting!!!

Dan

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:30:07 GMT, Spenser

>>> I really haven't installed anything to get the PCMCIA ethernet
>>> recognized. So, maybe a better question is this:  Do I need to install
>>> drivers/packages/etc.  for  the PCMCIA sockets?  When I use the probe
>>> command, I get this: PCI bridge probe: TI 1250A found.

>>Note that this tells something about the hardware that the PCMCIA cards
>>plug into, not the cards themselves.

>>> It may be a dumb question since the PCMCIA ethernet adapter is seen.
>>> What leads me to this question is that I cannot get Internet access.

>>The pcmcia-cs user-space programs need to be installed, and the pcmcia
>>kernel modules need to be available.  You can tell whether a card is
>>identified by running "cardctl ident", and see its status with "cardctl
>>status".  (That's probably located at /sbin/cardctl.)

>I did it.  I am able to get on the Internet.  I was making things more
>complicated than necessary.  I never did install the pcmcia-cs
>package. Since Linux saw the card, I figured there was no need to
>install the package.  The next hurdle to getting on the Internet was a
>configuration issue.  I'm on a cable modem that uses DHCP.  I
>installed the DHCP RPM from the CD and that was it.  Seemed too easy,
>but it's working!!  Thanks for you help.

1. linksys pcmcia ethernet & Mandrake 7.1

These seems so dumb, but for some reason when I install Mandrake 7.1, I
don't get an eth0 for my linksys pcmcia ethernet card (even though it works
fine in RedHat) and I notice that the network.opt is missing.  When I boot
up it does a beep for my pcmcia card and when I go to laptop settings under
the pcmcia tab I see the Linksys fastethernet 10/100 card but when I type

ifconfig adapter eth0

it says that it is not able to be accessed.  How do I get it to activate
this card.  It worked even under RedHat 6.0 and the linksys website says
that it should just work (unofficially of coure).  This is not a tulip
driver issue since that is only for the pci linksys card.  Any help would be
appreciated  http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=26

Thanks!

Dan Allen

2. disk performance

3. ethernet card pcmcia on sony vaio with mandrake 7.1

4. Can't get job control in Emacs w/ tcsh or bash

5. pcmcia install: Failed to connect to server (Mandrake 7.1)

6. hard disk size limits/PCI controller

7. Whiich ids better Mandrake 7.1 or Slackware 7.1

8. Newbie question. Please help!

9. Upgrade from Mandrake 7.0 (Air) to Mandrake 7.1 (Helium): Painless?

10. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?

11. Upgrade from Mandrake 7.0 (Air) to Mandrake 7.1 (Helium): Painless?

12. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?

13. Need help installing Real 8029 on Mandrake 7.1