What do I need for recompiling the kernel?

What do I need for recompiling the kernel?

Post by Razo » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hey guys :-)
I have old 486/66 mhz, 16 mb ram, 540mb hdd (285 mb available for
Linux).  As u see I have very little space for my Linux. So I had Redhat
5.1 installed on it , but when i've decided to recompile my kernel, i
went to /usr/src/linux and found out that i don't have /usr/src/linux
(or /usr/src/linux-2* )!!! I forgot to include something when i was
installing Redhat :-)
So then i've decided to reinstall linux and i've included
"kernel-headers, kernel-source, gcc, bin86", when I was recompiling the
kernel (when i was making "make zImage" it gave me an error that i don't
have something (like tools/build or smth like that). So please, could u
tell me what the complete list of packages i need to recompile my
kernel? On my primary puter i was always installing everything (except
howto in multiple languages) , so i didn't have this problem :-)
So please, tell me what do i need to successfully recompile my kernel

Thanx in advance  :-)

What do I need for recompiling the kernel?

Post by al » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Even easier solution if you have the same version of redhat(5.1 etc) on both
machines make the kernal on your other computer then copy it across.
instead of make zImage use make zdisk which does the same as make zImage but
places it on a floppy (which you must have put in your drive).
Can't help with which packages you need for redhat as i use slackware
myself.

>So then i've decided to reinstall linux and i've included
>"kernel-headers, kernel-source, gcc, bin86", when I was recompiling the
>kernel (when i was making "make zImage" it gave me an error that i don't
>have something (like tools/build or smth like that). So please, could u
>tell me what the complete list of packages i need to recompile my
>kernel? On my primary puter i was always installing everything (except
>howto in multiple languages) , so i didn't have this problem :-)

What do I need for recompiling the kernel?

Post by Wolfgang Viechtbaue » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have old 486/66 mhz, 16 mb ram, 540mb hdd (285 mb available for
> Linux).  As u see I have very little space for my Linux. So I had Redhat
> 5.1 installed on it , but when i've decided to recompile my kernel, i
> went to /usr/src/linux and found out that i don't have /usr/src/linux
> (or /usr/src/linux-2* )!!! I forgot to include something when i was
> installing Redhat :-)
> So then i've decided to reinstall linux and i've included
> "kernel-headers, kernel-source, gcc, bin86", when I was recompiling the

Let met get this straight. You reinstalled Linux because you forgot to
install some of the packages??? If that is the case, then you might want
to check out rpm!!! It is a packet manager that allows you to easily
install and remove packages from your RH system. If I misunderstood you,
forget it. If you don't know what I am talking about, post a reply to
comp.os.linux.setup (please no more cross-posts), and I will help ya
out.

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer

Post by Tim Laurse » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hey guys :-)
> I have old 486/66 mhz, 16 mb ram, 540mb hdd (285 mb available for
> Linux).  As u see I have very little space for my Linux. So I had Redhat
> 5.1 installed on it , but when i've decided to recompile my kernel, i
> went to /usr/src/linux and found out that i don't have /usr/src/linux
> (or /usr/src/linux-2* )!!! I forgot to include something when i was
> installing Redhat :-)
> So then i've decided to reinstall linux and i've included
> "kernel-headers, kernel-source, gcc, bin86", when I was recompiling the
> kernel (when i was making "make zImage" it gave me an error that i don't
> have something (like tools/build or smth like that). So please, could u
> tell me what the complete list of packages i need to recompile my
> kernel? On my primary puter i was always installing everything (except
> howto in multiple languages) , so i didn't have this problem :-)
> So please, tell me what do i need to successfully recompile my kernel

I don't have the answer to your question, sorry, but I do have a stupid
question for you: Why don't you compile the kernel for your 486 on your
primary computer? That would save you the space needed for the compiler,
kernel code etc.

--

  (\        Best regards,        /)
-||||8-          Tim          -8||||-

What do I need for recompiling the kernel?

Post by RAZO » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hey guys :-)
I have old 486/66 mhz, 16 mb ram, 540mb hdd (285 mb available for
Linux).  As u see I have very little space for my Linux. So I had Redhat
5.1 installed on it , but when i've decided to recompile my kernel, i
went to /usr/src/linux and found out that i don't have /usr/src/linux
(or /usr/src/linux-2* )!!! I forgot to include something then i was
installing Redhat :-)
So then i've decided to reinstall linux and i've included
"kernel-headers, kernel-source, gcc, bin86", when I was recompiling the
kernel (when i was making "make zImage" it gave me an error that i don't
have something (like tools/build or smth like that). So please, could u
tell me what the complete list of packages i need to recompile my
kernel? On my primary puter i was always installing everything (except
howto in multiple languages) , so i didn't have this problem :-)
So please, tell me what do i need to successfully recompile my kernel

Thanx in advance  :-)

P.S. If u see this post twice in the newsgroups, please don't get mad,
i'm just struggling with my news server (it doesn't want to post)

1. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?

I'm trying to get ftape to work, and after upgrading my kernel to
2.0.0 on my Red Hat system I noticed the tape controller hex address
is wrong. I corrected the makefile in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape so now I need to re-compile. I have
ftape setup as a loadable module.

The main question is do I need to recompile the whole kernel + modules
or should I just recompile ftape? Can I just run 'make modules' then
'make modules_install' and have it work? Or should I just run make in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape and move ftape.o to
/lib/modules/2.0.0?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.
--

David

| Mechanical Engineering Senior                                      |
| Mississippi State University             OS/2 and Linux user       |
|                                                                    |
|        "I'd explain it, but there's a lot of math." -- Calvin.     |
|                                                                    |
+------------- http://www2.msstate.edu/~dmi1/index.html -------------+

2. DHCPd with Option 82 and fixed-host statement

3. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel

4. NEC CD-ROM, Linux, Dell P90 locks up

5. "floating" title bars with FWM?

6. Linux on embedded PCs (PC/104)

7. can't mount DOS partition anymore after kernel recompile.

8. programmer's tools needed for kernel recompile

9. Newbie needs a nudge in the right direction for recompiling the kernel with new drivers

10. Need help recompiling kernel...

11. need to recompile kernel for ipportforwarding