mail not quite working right

Post by Henry Hartl » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I've gotten a server set up and I thought I had DNS working (it mostly
does) but one thing isn't right yet.  I want a user's address to be

I could use that but I'd rather not.  Is this a DNS issue or a
sendmail issue?  What did I do wrong (or more likely, what did I not
do)?

Henry Hartley

1. DHCP SERVER not working quite right? (RH6.0)

I'm trying to get the DHCP server from ISC.org working on my Red Hat 6.0
system.  I've installed the RPM from the RH6 CD and created
/etc/dhcpd.conf and /etc/dhcpd.leases.  Here is what my dhcpd.conf file
looks like:

subnet 10.1.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 10.1.1.2 10.1.1.10;
  default-lease-time 14400;
  max-lease-time 28800;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  option broadcast-address 10.1.1.255;
  option routers 10.1.1.1;
  option domain-name-servers 10.1.1.1;
  option domain-name "houchen.home"

host genesis {
  hardware ethernet 00:e0:98:04:ce:4a;
  fixed-address 10.1.1.2;

I have one client (Win95) that I want to have the same IP each time it
requests an address -- the one with the MAC address in the "host
genesis" section.  Here is the problem:  The Win95 machine gets 10.1.1.2
without any problem and everything works great.  But if I do a "release"
on the Win95 machine, kill dhcpd, remove the leases file(s), change
dhcpd.conf to reflect a DIFFERENT MAC address, and restart the dhcpd
daemon, the Win95 machine will pick up 10.1.1.2 again when I "renew"!
If I put in the correct MAC address and change fixed-address to 10.1.1.4
(for example) and restart everything the Win95 machine will pick up the
10.1.1.4 address as expected.  Then, when I change the MAC address to
something else to try to reserve 10.1.1.4 for a different machine, the
Win95 machine will again pick up the 10.1.1.4 address.

To summarize the problem... if I have the Win95 machine's correct MAC
address in the host section, the fixed-address will be assigned
properly.  But I can't get the Win95 machine to pick up a different IP
by assigning its current IP to a different MAC address, even if I remove
the leases files, restart the dhcpd daemon, and reboot the Win95
machine.

What am I doing wrong, and what other experiments should I try?  (I have
tried rebooting the Win95 machine between each MAC address change, with
the same results.  I also get these results if I use the final version
of DHCP 2.0 from www.isc.org, instead of the beta version that shipped
with RH6.0.  I have also tried changing the host line to read "host foo"
instead of "host genesis".)  If you think what I'm doing should work the
way I think it should, please give me a scenario to try...

Thanks!!!

2. SMC 8216C Ultra 16 NIC

3. Help! shared libraries not working quite right.

4. problem while compile tcp_wrappers_7.6

5. lpd: filters not working quite right

6. Windows MIME Mail Reading under Linux?

7. My Lovely Openwin... not quite right.

8. RH 6.1 and D-Link DFE-530TX

9. source rpm's not quite right

10. 2.5.29: fbcon palette not quite right

11. NetBSD 1.4.1 setup on hp300 not quite right

12. kppp Isn't quite working right for me.

13. pppd demand dialling Not quite right...