Alpha Linux booting to console mode with Matrox MG200 trouble

Alpha Linux booting to console mode with Matrox MG200 trouble

Post by Brian Haymor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just got the long overdue PCI MG200 card for our DEC Personal
Workstation 500au.  I pluged it in and fired up the machine.  It
appeared to be ok, other then a shuffel needed on the pci slot to a
bridged slot.  When milo goes to boot the kernel it prints the very
first line showing the kernel version and then hangs there.  I read that
a probably reason for this was that I had the kernel built for a tga
device instead of a vga device so I checked and no, my kernel is built
with vga support.  Any ideas?  Please respond back to me instead of the
newsgroup only.  THanks.

--
Brian D. Haymore, Systems Administrator
Center for High Performance Computing

Phone: (801) 585-1755

Post by E. Postm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I just got the long overdue PCI MG200 card for our DEC Personal
> Workstation 500au.  I pluged it in and fired up the machine.  It
> appeared to be ok, other then a shuffel needed on the pci slot to a
> bridged slot.  When milo goes to boot the kernel it prints the very
> first line showing the kernel version and then hangs there.  I read that
> a probably reason for this was that I had the kernel built for a tga
> device instead of a vga device so I checked and no, my kernel is built
> with vga support.  Any ideas?  Please respond back to me instead of the
> newsgroup only.  THanks.

> --
> Brian D. Haymore, Systems Administrator
> Center for High Performance Computing
> University of Utah

> Phone: (801) 585-1755

I have a matrox milennium G200 video adapter in my DEc Alpha 21164 PC sx
and it is working quite well.

I used the following settings in xconfig:

submenu "concole drivers"
VGA text console Y
Support for frame buffer devices Y
TGA frame buffer support Y

MATROX ACCELERATION MUST BE N

This last one is on my system the one which causes my system to halt at
the same spot as your machine does if toggled to Y.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by Scott Wo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have a matrox milennium G200 video adapter in my DEc Alpha 21164 PC sx
>and it is working quite well.

>I used the following settings in xconfig:

>submenu "concole drivers"
>VGA text console Y
>Support for frame buffer devices Y
>TGA frame buffer support Y

You don't need TGA support for the G200.

Quote:>MATROX ACCELERATION MUST BE N

>This last one is on my system the one which causes my system to halt at
>the same spot as your machine does if toggled to Y.

Matroxfb on alpha works in 2.3.22.
If you don't want to use 2.3, then you can try
ftp://geekland.cx/pub/matroxfb.c
with a recent 2.2 kernel.  (You won't get a penguin logo with this
hacked up version, though, since it boots into text mode.)

--
Scott Wood -- Ordained Minister of the Universal Life Church

"Maybe re-inventing the wheel is only sane thing when the wheel is

1. XFree86 and Matrox MG200/AGP

I use a machine with an AGP graphics card from matrox, millenium g200.
I don't know what kind of RAM this board has, has xfree any possibilities
to find out whether the board has SDRAM or SGRAM? The board should be a
SGRAM type, but the server reports that it has detected an SDRAM board.
How can I assure myself what board type I have?

Thanks in advance,
O. Hartmann

--
O. H.

2. Adding a string to multiple files by position?

3. 132X43 alpha mode for console

4. Section of a file between <line number start> <line number end> without using head / tail

5. Troubling Alpha: SMP support of Compaq Fort under Linux/Alpha

6. pcmcia schemes? (x-post)

7. Trouble booting Linux in turbo mode !!

8. thttpd

9. linux->real mode-> boot other OS in protected mode

10. BooT iN CoNSoLe MoDe

11. Howto bypass X-startup and boot directly into console mode?

12. Alpha 255, matrox GFX, Linux 5.1 hanging

13. running Matrox Millineum on Linux, on Alpha