installing linux on 2nd HD

Post by Ken O'Conno » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

I am installing Linux on it's own HD.Should I format this drive under
Linux or DOS?

installing linux on 2nd HD

Post by Joe Avil » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

>I am installing Linux on it's own HD.Should I format this drive under
>Linux or DOS?

The Linux boot partition must exist on the first drive (IDE 0). You cannot
place it on the second drive. I have a similar setup on my machine. I place
the root partition on the first drive along with the primary DOS partition.
Then the rest of the partitions can be on the second drive.

During installation, the Linux partitions will be formatted so you don't
have to worry about this.

Regards,
    Joe Avila

installing linux on 2nd HD

Post by B Ra » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

>>I am installing Linux on it's own HD.Should I format this drive under
>>Linux or DOS?

>The Linux boot partition must exist on the first drive (IDE 0). You cannot
>place it on the second drive. I have a similar setup on my machine. I place
>the root partition on the first drive along with the primary DOS partition.
>Then the rest of the partitions can be on the second drive.

I don't think this is strictly true. I am running Linux from my second
harddisk and all partitions are present on this second disk including root.
The primary partition on this second disk is a DOS partition as well.
However, the second harddisk is also on the primary IDE interface as slave.
This might be why it works, I don't really know very much about Linux, only
installed it 3 days ago for the first time.

Regards

Balaji Rao

installing linux on 2nd HD

Post by Will » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Linux can be on any hard drive as long as you put lilo in the master
boot record of the first hard drive, or at least some sort of boot
utility that will go to the second hard drive.
You can always use loadlin from dos on the first hard drive, like
loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1, or where ever your linux is.
copy loadlin.exe and your kernel to the dos partition.
I use loadlin and sometimes bootinst from BSD.

>>>I am installing Linux on it's own HD.Should I format this drive under
>>>Linux or DOS?

>>The Linux boot partition must exist on the first drive (IDE 0). You cannot
>>place it on the second drive. I have a similar setup on my machine. I place
>>the root partition on the first drive along with the primary DOS partition.
>>Then the rest of the partitions can be on the second drive.

>I don't think this is strictly true. I am running Linux from my second
>harddisk and all partitions are present on this second disk including root.
>The primary partition on this second disk is a DOS partition as well.
>However, the second harddisk is also on the primary IDE interface as slave.
>This might be why it works, I don't really know very much about Linux, only
>installed it 3 days ago for the first time.
>Regards
>Balaji Rao

Remove .nospam from name to reply.