How to read a Mac Floppy Disk or file

Post by Ron Gibs » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Say if I recompile support for Mac file system, can I read a MacFloppy?

Hmmm...sounds like a sandwich...

ICQ: 56576008
Home Page: http://home.netcom.com/~rgibson/index.htm

How to read a Mac Floppy Disk or file

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Say if I recompile support for Mac file system, can I read a MacFloppy?

Yes, **IF** it's a 1.44MB floppy (or the very rare 360KB or 720KB
floppies). x86 PC hardware can't read Mac 400KB or 800KB floppies. You'd
mount it with a command like:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -t hfs

There are also a bunch of options to adjust how Mac resource forks appear,
whether or not to do text end-of-line conversions, etc.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

1. Reading and writing Mac floppy disks on non-mac hardware

Does anyone have crufty (or otherwise) source code to read (and even
better write) macintosh disks on non-mac hardware?  I'm willing to
spend money to obtain this source.

On a related question is the floppy format public knowledge?  Maybe
described in Inside Macintosh?

Would it be tough to write a basic set of routines to read their
format?

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

Mike

3. Reading Mac-formatted floppy disks

4. Compaq Deskpro & Ethernet ?

5. Reading Mac Disks (without a mac)

6. cdrom problem

7. Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk

8. source for 'file' command?

9. reading dos files from floppy disk

10. Q: Read to read UNIX floppy disk

11. Generic algorith for reading a file form floppy disk

12. Read 800KB Mac floppy on slackware

13. read Mac floppy use Linux?