Installation trouble with RedHat 4.0

Post by Jeff Kir » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi Everyone,

I am having some trouble with RedHat 4.0 and using the boot floppies.  I
get an error after is loads the boot image and attemps to decrompress
it.  The specific error is "INVALID COMPRESSED FORMAT (ERR=2)" and the
system halts, hard.  I thought that it might be the floppies that I
used, but I used the disk in my ThinkPad and it worked just fine.  My
system is a Pentium 200-MMX with a HSB Motherboard, Tseng ET6000 w/4MB

partitions for Windows 95FAT), Connor 1.2 GB (2 Partitions 608MB ea):
one NTFS for NT 4.0 and the other for Linux (if I can get it loaded)
Pretty standard stuff.  I played with the BIOS setting, but had no
success.  Anybody have any ideas???

TIA

Jeff

Post by Alexei Nogi » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I am having some trouble with RedHat 4.0 and using the boot floppies.  I
> get an error after is loads the boot image and attemps to decrompress
> it.  The specific error is "INVALID COMPRESSED FORMAT (ERR=2)" and the
> system halts, hard.  I thought that it might be the floppies that I
> used, but I used the disk in my ThinkPad and it worked just fine.  My
> system is a Pentium 200-MMX with a HSB Motherboard, Tseng ET6000 w/4MB

> partitions for Windows 95FAT), Connor 1.2 GB (2 Partitions 608MB ea):
> one NTFS for NT 4.0 and the other for Linux (if I can get it loaded)
> Pretty standard stuff.  I played with the BIOS setting, but had no
> success.  Anybody have any ideas???

My be it'll be better with RedHat 4.2 but I am not sure. May be you should
download and try the boot disk from RedHat 4.2. If it works then you should
get the rest of the distribution.

Alexey

1. RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

Hi all,

I had RedHat Linux 3.0.3 working just great and I then purchased
the "official" V 4.0 2 CD package and did an upgrade. Now I am running
into the following difficulties does anyone know what the problems
might be? RedHat is apparently so busy that I have yet to
get a response from my last query.

1. Logging in as root I can not start up X; if I log in as a non-root
   user X starts up without any problems. When I try to startx
   I get the following error:

    "/usr/X11R6/bin/init : file or directory not found"

and this error varies if I execute directly in the /usr/X11R6/bin
directory. My PATH does point to this directory. The error messages
are so varied that I can't recall the exact syntax for each error
and I am e-mailing from another machine (see item 3).

2. Emacs takes a very long time to start up.

3. Networking no longer operates. The old networking scripts I had
   written (ppp-on,etc.) no longer work as chat seems to be broken.
   When I run the script it essentially tells me that the -l option
   no longer works. However, the man page for chat says it is there.
   Possibly "new" version of chat as compared to man pages. Previously
   to test my networking I could use minicom, dial into my gateway
   and CTRL + A Q out and issue a pppd command and be connected to
   the network. Now the issuing the pppd command doesn't seem to
   connect me to the network; it just sits there.

   I also tried the Network Configurator and the modem initializes,
   dials up the network, I can hear it connecting and then as with
   pppd nothing else happens.

Thanks

2. X-probeonly- program says "bash" command X not found ???

3. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization

4. An analogue to Wintune?

5. Trouble setting up an internet router with RedHat 4.0

6. ARIA soundboard drivers hacked!

7. Trouble Installing RedHat 4.0

8. Stopping connections ....

9. still trouble with remote printing on redhat 4.0

10. cron troubles after upgrading to RedHat 4.0

11. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization

12. RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

13. Troubles with Adaptec 1542CP and RedHat 4.0