Newbie needs help installing Slackware 3.4

Newbie needs help installing Slackware 3.4

Post by Edward Christopher Ker » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

My computer:
IBM PS/2 56 486SLC2 50Mhz
Microchannel Bus
IBM SCSI on-board adapter - Conner 212 MB SCSI HDD
8 MB's RAM (Two 4 meg simms)

I managed to install debain 1.3, but I really want to get slackware 3.4
on it.  I d/l'd the bootdisk "ibmmca.s" and the rootdisk "color.gz".  I
also d/l'd the A, AP, and N series of disks.  I boot off the image of
"ibmmca.s" and it seems to be working ok but it does not detect my hdd.
It asks for the root disk, which I give it, but then it just tells me
that I need to have a linux partition to continue with setup.  The thing
is, due to debian, i DO have a linux partition, just it can't find the
physical drive.  When I loaded debian I had to use the boot prompt
command "linux ibmmcascsi=7" to make it load, but when I tried that with
slackware it didn't like it.  I'm thinking that I should get the dev
file for my drive out of it and put it in the root disk image, then I
can mount it, but I don't know how to get into the image from
windoze95.  (It is a gz file that contains no distinguishable files)

Thanks,
Chris
--
Edward Christopher Kern

ICQ# 9984441

1. Newbie needs help with Slackware 3.4 and NEC SCSI drive

: Things I've Done/Accomplished:
: 1. Formatted & Defragged HD
: 2. Installed Disk Mgr
: 3. Installed Dos62
: 4. Ran FIPS (Dos size 600MB, Linux 1GB)
: 5. Booted w/Linux Boot Disk  (pas16.s)
: 6. Set up 16 MB swap partition
: 7. Set up Remainder as Linux
: 8. Formatted Linux partition
: 9. Configured Swap Partition (mkswap and swapon)
: 10. Selected only Linux partition as target
: 11. Selected CD as Target

Do *not* select CD as both source and destination.

: 12. Selected CD as source
:       Tried SCSI/pas option and SCSI option - failed to detect drive
: 13. did research
: 14. Used a variety of permutations with the following as variables:
:               a. ports (0x0140, 0x340)
:       b. IRQs (10, 7, 255)
:       c. bootdisks (pas16.s, scsinet.s)
:       d. "max_scsi_luns=1"  (also tried 0)
:       e. cd type in install prgm (scan for drive, scsi, pas)

Larry

2. Install problems on AS1000 / RH 6.1

3. Help needed....Slackware 3.4 install

4. RedHat Motif

5. Slackware 3.4 MAJOR install problems. Please Help!

6. compile error on kde cvs tree

7. help installing slackware 3.4

8. gcc stopped making demand-paged executables?

9. Need help about Slackware 3.4

10. Help installing java on Slackware 3.4!

11. Unable to install Linux slackware 3.4, please help

12. Help with install problem on Slackware 3.4