ntfs, msdos, ext3

Post by Jorda » Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:24:21

I have setup fstab to mount various ntfs, one msdos, and one ext3
partition that weren't there when I loaded redhat linux.  I used mknod
to create the mount points and that went well.  The mount points exist,
but when I use the mount -v -a command, it just tells me that none of
the file systems are supported by my kernel.  Twice it says it's not a
directory.  I know I setup the ext3 fs corretly...fdisk...id 83...mkfs
ext3...etc.  And I have tried hpfs in place of ntfs, still nothing.  I
used the b option with the mknod command.  Perhaps there is something
I'm not doing.  Can anyone help?

Jordan

ntfs, msdos, ext3

Post by Brett E. Dufaul » Sun, 29 Sep 2002 04:10:20

Quote:> I have setup fstab to mount various ntfs, one msdos, and one ext3
> partition that weren't there when I loaded redhat linux.  I used mknod
> to create the mount points and that went well.  The mount points exist,
> but when I use the mount -v -a command, it just tells me that none of
> the file systems are supported by my kernel.  Twice it says it's not a
> directory.  I know I setup the ext3 fs corretly...fdisk...id 83...mkfs
> ext3...etc.  And I have tried hpfs in place of ntfs, still nothing.  I
> used the b option with the mknod command.  Perhaps there is something
> I'm not doing.  Can anyone help?

Use "mkdir" to create mount points, not "mknod".  (Mount points have to be
directories, and the files that 'mknod' creates aren't directories.)

Cheers!
--Brett

ntfs, msdos, ext3

Post by ne.. » Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:46:06

> I have setup fstab to mount various ntfs, one msdos, and one ext3
> partition that weren't there when I loaded redhat linux.  I used mknod
> to create the mount points and that went well.  The mount points exist,
> but when I use the mount -v -a command, it just tells me that none of
> the file systems are supported by my kernel.

If the filesystms are not supported by your kernel, you
need to load the necessary modules so that the filesystems
are supported. If you do not have the necessary modules,
you need to compile them.

[...]

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

1. NTFS and EXT3 on large number of files

Hi all,

Some updates on my NTFS and EXT3 comparison.

I "Moved" 300,000 files of 100 bytes each from one folder to another within
the same partition.

The reduction in speed (with ext3fs) as the number of files increased is
really shocking!

After i reached about 80,000 files, it required 1 minute more to move the
next 10,000 files.

I did a test with a NTFS machine and to my surprise (and disappointment),
theres no drop in "move" time as the destination folder increases in size.

Even as I moved the same files across a partition on the same physical
drive, the results were still very even as the number of files in the
destination folder increases.

As for counting, I used the ls | wc thing too. However, when i pressed "ls"
followed by the "tab" key twice in "bash", it took only like half a second
to prompt me "Display all 300,000 files? y/n?". Even like "ls myfile1*" and
the 2x "tab" gave me "Display all 1236 files? y/n?".

How did bash find out all that so fast??

thanx for all your response.

Regards

darren

___

2. connecting to a windows 2000 workgroup

3. resize ntfs & move ext3

4. VisualAge C++, a good IDE?

5. a good way to transfrom ntfs partition to ext3

6. APACHE 1.3.11

7. 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: ext3 misc updates

8. Can't stop X-windows starting cycle && vi and boot/root disks

9. Numbers: ext2/ext3/reiser Performance (ext3 is slow)

10. ext3 and filename globbing with ext3

11. 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: ext3 dirty buffer management

12. 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: ext3 minor improvements

13. 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Bump ext3 version number