File permissions/access and CHAP - confused newbie!

File permissions/access and CHAP - confused newbie!

Post by Dave Esqu » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Greetings from a newbie Windoze refuge! (the quotations below are to keep
myself organized, I know root is root and not "root")

After much mucking around, I have a technique to log into my MCIWorld CHAP
account. They (MCIWorld) said it couldn't be done - really they said we can't
help you, go away. Anyway...

I'm trying to let the "user" fire up a ppp script rather than having to be the
"root" all the time ( a bad idea, I think) and typing in a long complicated
/usr/bin/pppd /dev/tty... command to start my ppp session. Since this is a
standalone machine and I am the only person using the machine, I think its OK
for "user" to have access to PPP. All the ideas and scripts came from
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

my users: "root" and "dave"
my scripts: pppon and chatscript (both created as "root" user with emacs)

pppon script has a line: "/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 .... "chat -f
$HOME/chatscript"
and chatscript dials the ISP number and sets init strings to the modem.

Now the confusion, these are the commands (from the axion paper) to let other
users (hopefully "dave") access the pppon script:

1. mv pppon /usr/bin            : worked ok, file in /usr/bin
2. chmod a+rx /usr/bin/pppon    : worked ok too, permission changed
3. chown <user> chatscript        :here I substituted dave for <user>, worked ok
4. su <user>                      : I did su dave
                                : I checked and chatscript
                                : has the permissions "-rw-r--r-- dave root
chatscript"
5. mv chatscript $HOME  : ERROR message
                                : mv:cannot unlink 'chatscript': permission
denied
                                : mv: cannot remove 'chatscript': permission
denied
6. chmod go-rwx $HOME/chatscript        : never got to this command!

The way I understand this stuff (not very well obviously) is that as user
"dave" I should be able to type in a terminal window "pppon" and the whole
process should start.

I'm stuck, confused and very tired (but enjoying the learning curve!). What am
I doing wrong/setting permissions wrong or ... in line 5? The $HOME shell
variable thing is representative of /home/dave/? or something like that?

Getting closer every day and TIA,
Dave

1. CHAP script file permissions - confused!

[...]

2. ocamlc problem

3. Confused about file access (Was: Does a file exist?)

4. $$$ for lockd/statd

5. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

6. PPP Start-up

7. QUESTION!: Confusing file permissions ...

8. ioctl, flush fails - help!

9. Confused about Pine and file permissions...

10. Seeking KHow do I get the bit value of a file's file access permissions?

11. Newbie: Unix File Permissions on HTML files?

12. NEWBIE|Apache-no permission to access / on this server

13. Newbie Quesion: CDROM access error- case of permission??!!