KDE 2 on RedHat 7 works for non-root user from runlevel 3, but not runlevel 5

KDE 2 on RedHat 7 works for non-root user from runlevel 3, but not runlevel 5

Post by Dale Hennesse » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 02:04:40

Hi, everyone.

Just installed RedHat 7, without KDE, and then installed the KDE 2
RPMs from ftp://ftp.kde.org after-the-fact.

Seems that every user can use KDE 2 from runlevel 3 without a problem.
(I used switchdesk to set the .Xclients-default to KDE 2.)

Non-root users, however, cannot start KDE 2 from runlevel 5 using gdm
as the login manager.  The screen blanks, then goes right back to the
gdm login.  Root does not have this problem and can start KDE 2 from
gdm.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?  What files I can check for
diagnostic/error information?

Many thanks.

Dale Hennessey |    My posting address is distorted to deter spam.
The PEER Group |    Please direct replies to <dale-filter at peergroup
Kitchener, ON  |    dot com>
Canada         |

KDE 2 on RedHat 7 works for non-root user from runlevel 3, but not runlevel 5

Post by ne.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 04:02:35

Quote:>Hi, everyone.

>Just installed RedHat 7, without KDE, and then installed the KDE 2
>RPMs from ftp://ftp.kde.org after-the-fact.

>Seems that every user can use KDE 2 from runlevel 3 without a problem.
>(I used switchdesk to set the .Xclients-default to KDE 2.)

>Non-root users, however, cannot start KDE 2 from runlevel 5 using gdm
>as the login manager.  The screen blanks, then goes right back to the
>gdm login.  Root does not have this problem and can start KDE 2 from
>gdm.

>Can anyone tell me what might be going on?  What files I can check for
>diagnostic/error information?

I'm sure this is a FAQ. gdm is still looking for KDE 1.x stuff.
You need to manually edit the files in /etc/X11/gdm to set it
up properly. I guess this will eventually lead you to
/usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.kde2.

You never gain something but that you lose something.
                -- Thoreau
  1:55pm  up 8 days, 21:47, 10 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

KDE 2 on RedHat 7 works for non-root user from runlevel 3, but not runlevel 5

Post by Dale Hennesse » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 06:37:26

Doh!  I should've realized that.

Many thanks for the help.  I'll see if I can fix it tonite.  :)

Dale.

:
:>Hi, everyone.
:>

Post by Leonid Flak » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:10:52

> Doh!  I should've realized that.

> Many thanks for the help.  I'll see if I can fix it tonite.  :)

> Dale.

> :
> :>Hi, everyone.
> :>
> :>Just installed RedHat 7, without KDE, and then installed the KDE 2
> :>RPMs from ftp://ftp.kde.org after-the-fact.
> :>
> :>Seems that every user can use KDE 2 from runlevel 3 without a problem.
> :>(I used switchdesk to set the .Xclients-default to KDE 2.)
> :>
> :>Non-root users, however, cannot start KDE 2 from runlevel 5 using gdm
> :>as the login manager.  The screen blanks, then goes right back to the
> :>gdm login.  Root does not have this problem and can start KDE 2 from
> :>gdm.
> :>
> :>Can anyone tell me what might be going on?  What files I can check for
> :>diagnostic/error information?
> :I'm sure this is a FAQ. gdm is still looking for KDE 1.x stuff.
> :You need to manually edit the files in /etc/X11/gdm to set it
> :up properly. I guess this will eventually lead you to
> :/usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.kde2.

> Dale Hennessey |    My posting address is distorted to deter spam.
> The PEER Group |    Please direct replies to <dale-filter at peergroup
> Kitchener, ON  |    dot com>
> Canada

As a temporary solution you may try to select X-session from gdm GUI (the last
one).
When I did that it selected KDE for me.

Leon

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. Samba Printing Question

3. Xvnc problems switching from runlevel 5 to runlevel 3

4. linux doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive

5. runlevel 5 vs runlevel 3 + startx

6. vi display issues

7. Redhat 5.2 Runlevel 5 not working properly

8. Reverse Print Characters

9. Req for Help: KDE 2.1 and non-root users on RedHat 7.0

10. KDE will not start with non-root users

11. System jumps back to runlevel 3 when user is anything but root

12. KDE 3.0 on RedHat 7.2, How do I get to RunLevel 3

13. newgrp not working for non-root users (slackware)