Win95 + RedHat 4.1 -> Mysterious disappearing CD-ROM: P & P problem?

Win95 + RedHat 4.1 -> Mysterious disappearing CD-ROM: P & P problem?

Post by Matt Gushe » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi, folks--

Yet another stupid newbie question for ya. I have a Toshiba Satellite
Pro 420 CDS (Japanese version, but I think it's identical to the US
model, except for having more RAM preinstalled), which has Win95
(preinstalled, of course). Last week I installed Redhat Linux 4.1, using
LILO in the Master Boot Record to boot both systems. Both OS's seem to
be working fine, but I have a problem with the CD-ROM (Toshiba XM-1402B,
which according to docs and diagnostics is a standard ATAPI/IDE model).
Linux recognizes it (/dev/hdc) and will mount it; Win95 recognizes it
after a cold boot, but if I warm-boot Windows after a Linux session,
it's just not there. The Windows Control Panel has one of those *
exclamation points on the icon for the second IDE controller (which
should have the CD-ROM under it). Searching the Registry turns up
nothing for "cd-rom" except under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\SCSI, which is
weird because I don't have a SCSI adapter.

Actually, I have a guess about this. Red Hat docs say something about
having to disable Plug & Play--but they don't explain how. I've also
read a couple of news posts on the subject, but I don't quite get the
picture. If this is indeed the cause of my problem, well . . . can you
disable P & P as a whole, or do you have to do it for specific devices,
one at a time? Which OS do you use to do the dirty deed? Is it possible
to have a setup where P & P is automatically enabled for Win95, and
automatically disabled for Linux?

Thanks in advance for any and all tips.

Matt Gushee

1. RedHat 4.1: problems with GoldStar CD-ROM

Hi. I sent the gist of this to RedHat support, but thought I might
post this as a warning.

I tried to install RedHat 4.1 using a GoldStar (Model CRD-8160B)
ATAPI cd-rom (8-16x). It didn't work (RPMs crashed). Symptoms:
Very long estimated install times (2 hours+) for an ~200mb install;
the cd-rom sounded like it was perpetually spinning up and spinning
down, so there may have been some kind of timing problem with the
install. The Goldstar is the Master on the secondary IDE controller
(i.e., it is hdc). The Goldstar works fine under Windows95, of course.

I was fortunate enough to have an old Mitsumi (2x) cd-rom connected to
my system as well, and the installation went smoothly with it. (The
whole installation took ~15 minutes.) I can access the Goldstar via
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2" within Linux just fine.

I have to say that beyond this one glitch, the installation went very
smoothly. Now I just have to figure out how to connect to my SLIP
provider...

2. crontab errors

3. Redhat 4.1 install - Sony CDU31A CD-ROM problems - HELP

4. cookie problem

5. HELP: Problem installing Redhat 4.1 using PCMCIA cd-rom drive

6. soundcard + floppy + kppp PROBLEMS

7. need help on Sun 4/110 (4.1) => PS printer lpd filter

8. IBM PS/2 Model 9577 compatability

9. RedHat 4.1 installation and Creative Labs 2x CD-ROM won't work!!!!

10. HELP:Redhat 4.1 can't find CD-ROM

11. redhat 4.1 ps/2 mouse not working!

12. adobe .ps vs .pdf files confusion: problems reading ".ps" documentation on redhat 5.2 linux

13. RedHat 4.1 installation using a Sony CDU31A CD-ROM