httpd won't start at boot time

Post by Jeff Perr » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 09:42:02

My httpd wasn't coming up at boot time, so I ran the SysV Init Editor and
pulled httpd into the 'runlevel 3 start' window.

When I reboot, I don't see httpd start, and I can't get to my web server.
However, when I run SysV Init Editor, it shows httpd running in runlevel 3.
 If I try to stop the service, it fails (probably because it's not
running), and if I then start it again, eveything is OK, and my server
works fine.

I obviously didn't go about installing httpd into my startup scripts
successfully.

My question is: Can someone give me hint on how to go about installing a
daemon like httpd into my startup scripts?

Thanks,
Jeff

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:35:13

> My httpd wasn't coming up at boot time, so I ran the SysV Init Editor and
> pulled httpd into the 'runlevel 3 start' window.

> When I reboot, I don't see httpd start, and I can't get to my web server.
> However, when I run SysV Init Editor, it shows httpd running in runlevel
> 3.
>  If I try to stop the service, it fails (probably because it's not
> running), and if I then start it again, eveything is OK, and my server
> works fine.

> I obviously didn't go about installing httpd into my startup scripts
> successfully.

> My question is: Can someone give me hint on how to go about installing a
> daemon like httpd into my startup scripts?

> Thanks,
> Jeff

The SysV Init Editor doesn't show whether a daemon is running or not.  Use
ps ax for that or ps -ef.  Question is whether your default runlevel is 3
or 5.  Maybe you want to put httpd into the startup for runlevel 5, too.
And be sure that other network services have started before starting httpd.

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:58:31

> My httpd wasn't coming up at boot time, so I ran the SysV Init Editor and
> pulled httpd into the 'runlevel 3 start' window.

> When I reboot, I don't see httpd start, and I can't get to my web server.
> However, when I run SysV Init Editor, it shows httpd running in runlevel 3.
>  If I try to stop the service, it fails (probably because it's not
> running), and if I then start it again, eveything is OK, and my server
> works fine.

> I obviously didn't go about installing httpd into my startup scripts
> successfully.

> My question is: Can someone give me hint on how to go about installing a
> daemon like httpd into my startup scripts?

Have you checked the error_log to see if there is a problem?  Is your
hostname (or its set ServerName) listed in /etc/hosts?  Sounds like it
might be coming up too soon before it can associate an IP with your
hostname.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

Post by Jeff Per » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:52:17

> > My httpd wasn't coming up at boot time, so I ran the SysV Init Editor and
> > pulled httpd into the 'runlevel 3 start' window.
> Maybe you want to put httpd into the startup for runlevel 5, too.

That worked.  I put httpd in runlevel 5 as well as runlevel 3.  Thanks.  Jeff

1. xfs won't start at boot time

Hi,

since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
tcp_port]
Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

Thanks
--
Andreas Tretow

2. Cluster Terminal Servers w/ "Load Balancing" Feature

3. xdm won't start at boot time

4. help appletalk

5. wwwoffled won't start at boot time

6. How do I client to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

7. Apache won't start at the boot time

8. Advice needed---on-board video card

9. How to automate httpd start up at boot time?

10. Apache: httpd won't start

11. apache httpd daemon won't start

12. httpd Won't start!

13. httpd won't start--Apache 1.3.3 and SSLeay-0.9.0b