2 hard drives; how to determine where apps. get installed?

2 hard drives; how to determine where apps. get installed?

Post by maham.. » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

Been beating on these installs for weeks and loving every minute of
it :-)

I now have a system with 2 hard drives installed, a 500m IDE and a 4
gig SCSI. I cant boot off the SCSI so I want to use the IDE to boot,
and the 4 gig for storage. I am using Caldera 2.2; can I choose exaclty
where to install programs? In the past it seems it just dumps
everything in default locations, and I am afraid it will just tell me
the 500 megs isnt enough (which it is not, but will it ignore the 4
gigs on the SCSI?)

Alternativly, are there any guidlines for partitioning the disks? i.e.
how big to make / and the various other partitions?

Thanks,

Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2 hard drives; how to determine where apps. get installed?

Post by gus » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Here is something to considder.

Your boot image does not need to be on the / filesystem. The /
filesystem does not need to be on the devices which is the boot device.

i.e. your root partition "/" can be /dev/sda1  even when the system
boots off /dev/hda1

Here is how you do it.

fdisk /dev/hda to have a smallish partition of about 100 meg. This will
become /boot

Use the rest of the disk for something like swap space.

Partition the 4 gig SCSI disk in to a number of partitions depending on
your anticipated usage. I guess about equal amounts each to / , /home,
/usr, /var and /opt. This is by no means a recommendation, and in fact,
if you are still learning lots, I would perhaps recommend leaving it as
one large partition, just /

So, assuming the latter, your setup looks something like /dev/sda1 = /
and /dev/hda1 = /boot, and /dev/hda2 = swap.

Now, set up your system. I am unsure of Caldera, but it will have a
rescue disk system, and boot off that creating the above partitions.
Make the /dev/sda1 your root partition, and /hda1 the /boot partition.
Install the system.

Now, the kernel images should be installed in /boot, and every time you
recompile the kernel, the new image should be moved to this directory /
filesystem.

Lilo will, by default, install on to /dev/hda, so there will be little
to reconfigure, and since the /boot directory is on the same disk, you
should be A for OK.

All the best.

gus

> Hi all,

> Been beating on these installs for weeks and loving every minute of
> it :-)

> I now have a system with 2 hard drives installed, a 500m IDE and a 4
> gig SCSI. I cant boot off the SCSI so I want to use the IDE to boot,
> and the 4 gig for storage. I am using Caldera 2.2; can I choose exaclty
> where to install programs? In the past it seems it just dumps
> everything in default locations, and I am afraid it will just tell me
> the 500 megs isnt enough (which it is not, but will it ignore the 4
> gigs on the SCSI?)

> Alternativly, are there any guidlines for partitioning the disks? i.e.
> how big to make / and the various other partitions?

> Thanks,

> Tony

1. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

I have 2 hard drives hda and hdc on redhat 2.2.5-15 kernel.

I downloaded SuSE 7.2 and put the iso file on hda5, wrote
it to the device so I can mount the file iso.

I would like  the boot floopy to find /dev/hda5
instead of the cdrom to do the install from.

Can this be done? Redhat has a premade floppy for this
so I am hoping somewhere I can get this for Suse.

                           Thanks in advance to those who help

2. Sleep less than 1 sec

3. Red Hat 7.0 can not see hard hard drive during install

4. Resizing LINUX ext2

5. copying hard drive to hard drive

6. Dump Device

7. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

8. Prob Booting new kernels

9. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy

10. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

11. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

12. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

13. Once a Linux Hard Drive ALWAYS a Linus Hard Drive???