PPP script for client callback with PAP/CHAP

Post by bill davids » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

| I have a problem .. :) The problem is that i don't know how to make
| a ppp script that will estamblish a connection with a NT RAS PPP server
| that has callback. It wouldn't be the problem if connection was
| clear text, but since it uses PAP/CHAP i don't know how to create a
| script that will answer to the call and make ppp connection.
| I tried to use the callback with Win95 and it works great ..

If you must flame me for reposting this, please do it by mail. I'm tired
of seeing this question.

Note: this assumes that you have ppp-2.3.4 or later installed and the
kernel patches compiled and installed (if needed).

================> repost <================

        by darkstar.prodigy.com (8.7.5/8.6.9) with ESMTP id UAA02727

        by clmout1-int.prodigy.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id UAA37332;
        Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:35:30 -0500

        by outland.tmr.com (8.7.5/8.7.3) id UAA00252; Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:08:08 -0400
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:08:08 -0400

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: RAS callback for Linux - Solved!!

we have a solution to the RAS callback problem. He put me on to
this patch which makes the ppp-2.3.4 answer the returing call:

diff -r pppstd/ppp-2.3.4/pppd/lcp.c ppp-2.3.4/pppd/lcp.c
269c269
<     ppp_recv_config(unit, PPP_MRU, 0xffffffff,
---

Quote:>     ppp_recv_config(unit, PPP_MRU, 0x00000000,

That said, here is my small contribution, two ppp scripts which
actually initiate the call and accept the callback, and a short
shell script which runs the two pppd scripts and will reinitiate
the connection if it drops.

This one initiates the connect
# hardware settings
modem
crtscts
lock
asyncmap 0
defaultroute
# modem selection
/dev/modem
57600
# IP info - accept any old IP addresses we're offered
192.168.14.165:192.168.14.118
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
# validation info
#   this is my name as known to the remote server
name davidsen
#   this is an arbitrary name to match the entry in the
#   chap-secrets file
remotename ras
# run this whole script, no detach
-detach
# ask for callback, wait for callback req
#   callback number, don't forget a 9 or something if needed
callback 555-1234
# communications settings
connect '/etc/ppp/bin/chat -v \
        ABORT "BUSY" \
        ABORT "NO ANSWER" "" \
        "AT&F1E0Q0" OK \
        ATDT5554321 CONNECT'

This is the pppd script which accepts the callback. Note that
instead of setting the modem to answer on a ring, such as S0=1, I
wait for the RING message and force an answer inthe manner of mgetty
# hardware settings
modem
crtscts
lock
asyncmap 0
defaultroute
# validation info
#   this is my name on their system
name davidsen
#   this is their name (arbitrary) in my chap-secrets file
remotename ras
# let them pick the IP addresses
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
# keep checking
#   NOTE: you only need this *if* your remote server hangs
#   without actually dropping the modem connection
lcp-echo-interval 20
lcp-echo-failure 2
# wait for them to say "hi"
connect 'chat -v \
        ABORT "BUSY" ABORT "NO ANSWER" "" \
        "AT&F1E0Q0&D3" OK "" RING ATA CONNECT'
# communications settings
/dev/modem
57600

This is an example /etc/chap-secrets:
davidsen        ras             songbyrd
ras             davidsen        songbyrd

1. PPP/CHAP/PAP to an NT server from non-MS client (HELP!)

Please reply directly, as I don't regularly read this group.

I am trying to help a friend get his FreeBSD box to authenticate to
an NT server that is his ISP.  I've heard that Linux can do this.
The NT server is sending me a CHAP algorithm field that is not in
RFC1334, and it drops me if I send a ConfRej for CHAP (instead of
going to PAP).

Any and all help you can offer would be appreciated.  He'd like to do
this for a conference Nov 1-3.  We've been fighting it for weeks now.

Please reply directly, as I don't regularly read this group.
--

                 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services

2. telnetd: All network ports in use.

3. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

4. Xwindows

5. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

6. Keyboard freezes on lock keys

7. Request for Help with pap/chap pppd dial-in script

8. fvwm2: raise window with click in content?

9. one script for pap/chap and manual authentication

10. PAP/CHAP login script tester

11. SWBell PPP/PAP/CHAP/Whatthehell? RH 5.0

12. PPP, PAP, CHAP in plain english

13. PAP, CHAP or PPP ?