red hat installation

Post by Manuel Moren » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I just bought a copy of the red hat distribution directly
from LSL (Linux Systems Lab) and it does not come with any
documentation.

I've been running linux for a few years now, but never red
hat.

The problem I have has to do with the CD-ROM drive not being
detected during the installation process. I have an IDE
CD-ROM. Now, the question becomes: How can I force its
detection? By the way, I understand the whole installation
process is very different from, say, Slackware and Yggdrassil
which I've used before.

By the way, to make the boot disk - how do you go about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Manuel

PS - I know that there are a few books out there that come
with a CD. However, they are ~ $40-$50 and price was a
consideration when I decided to order directly from LSL.

red hat installation

Post by Andy Jefferso » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I just bought a copy of the red hat distribution directly
> from LSL (Linux Systems Lab) and it does not come with any
> documentation.

There is a README on the CD, as is there a manual on the CD (in html).

Quote:> By the way, to make the boot disk - how do you go about it?

There is a directory on the CD called dosutils (or something),
and this contains 'rawrite'. You simply use that to write an image
onto a floppy. This step is the same as Slackware I used a while ago.
--
Andy Jefferson

red hat installation

Post by redsock » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> The problem I have has to do with the CD-ROM drive not being
> detected during the installation process. I have an IDE
> CD-ROM. Now, the question becomes: How can I force its
> detection? By the way, I understand the whole installation
> process is very different from, say, Slackware and Yggdrassil
> which I've used before.

> Thanks.
> Manuel

  Hya there!

    I've also had this problem, no later than (ummm every time I
boot!)... but I have found an unusual workaround... First step, take the
case off your computer...(works better if you have a tower!) then, boot
yer linux system.  Look at the screen very carefully... timing is
important.  AFter you see the kernel detecting your cd-rom (NOT mounting
it... just detecting it...) now this is where it gets REAL weird.
UNPLUG THE POWER TO THE CR-DRIVE and plug it right back... you'll get a
tray open/device media changed error, ignore it. let your system boot,
and !tada! it works!...

I know it's weird, and you have to get it right, but if you only boot
once in a while, it works fine. other solution is to run "setup" from /
as root and select first item (cabaret something) and edit /mnt/cdrom
and mount manually...

Hope it helps, works like a charm for me!
Roland

1. Red hat installation from harddisk

Hi

I have tried to install RedHat Linux from a harddisk. I have made a
dos-partion and the directories c:\redhat\base and c:\redhat\base and to
those directories I hav copied the files from the redhat installation
cd-rom. But when I try to install I have at some time to choose from
where to install and choose hda1 (which is the c-disk in dos) and get an
answer like 'seems to be no installation tree at device hda1'. Anyone
else with the same problem? Any solution?

Bo Lauer, Denmark

PS: As you can see, English is not my mother language, hope you
understand my message anyway.

2. RU running Linux on an Abit ZM6?

3. Help Help, Help me with my Red Hat installation problem

4. WIN 3.1 under DOSEMU

5. Red Hat installation problem - newbie

6. Compile PGP under linux

7. Gateway video chipset/ Red Hat installation

8. portfw, ipmasqadm, and PMfirewall

9. red hat installation questions

10. Red Hat installation problem

11. Red Hat installation: how long should I wait?

12. RED HAT INSTALLATION

13. KDE on Red Hat Installation