How do I use an on-board NIC?

Post by GTE New » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I just got an el-cheap-o PC.  It seems to have everything build onto the
motherboard, including the NIC.  It works fine with Win98, but how can I get
Linux to see the NIC?  It's not any brand listed in the list of Linux NICs
supported by the kernel.  Do I need to use "ifconfig" and give the i/o
address, irq, hardware address, and stuff like that?

Thanks

How do I use an on-board NIC?

Post by Steven Sirot » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

try pnpdump and see what you get ...
pnpdump | less
and look for 0x300 for an entry this should be it
also try
man isapnp

i am doubtful it'll be supported under linux, its probably a ne2000 clone,
of these i have only got the linksys and dlink cards to work under linux.

look for a chip called a tulip on the motherboard near the rj45 connector,
if you find one that says winbond you might be outta luck...this won't mean
that you couldn't
put another nic in there, so long as you disable it somehow..

its not a dell computer is it ? if it is, now what did you go and do that
for ? ;-)

>I just got an el-cheap-o PC.  It seems to have everything build onto the
>motherboard, including the NIC.  It works fine with Win98, but how can I
get
>Linux to see the NIC?  It's not any brand listed in the list of Linux NICs
>supported by the kernel.  Do I need to use "ifconfig" and give the i/o
>address, irq, hardware address, and stuff like that?

How do I use an on-board NIC?

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I just got an el-cheap-o PC.  It seems to have everything build onto the
> motherboard, including the NIC.  It works fine with Win98, but how can I get
> Linux to see the NIC?  It's not any brand listed in the list of Linux NICs
> supported by the kernel.  Do I need to use "ifconfig" and give the i/o
> address, irq, hardware address, and stuff like that?

You need to figure out what Ethernet chipset the motherboard uses (this
is NOT the same as the motherboard's main chipset).  Your best bet to do
this is probably to go into Windows and open the control panel.  I don't
recall the exact names, but you need to open the system information tool
and look for the Ethernet adapter.  There should be some sort of
information there on it.  If it lists something you see in the Linux
kernel configuration for Ethernet adapters, you're in luck; just use that
driver.  If not, it might be a compatible chipset, or something you can
get working in some other way; try posting the details of what you see.
You might also be able to get some information by examining chips on the
motherboard -- the Ethernet chip is likely to be close to the Ethernet
adapter, but that's not certain.  The motherboard's manufacturer also
MIGHT be forthcoming with this information -- or perhaps not.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

1. How do I use an on-board NIC?

I just got an el-cheap-o PC.  It seems to have everything build onto the
motherboard, including the NIC.  It works fine with Win98, but how can I get
Linux to see the NIC?  It's not any brand listed in the list of Linux NICs
supported by the kernel.  Do I need to use "ifconfig" and give the i/o
address, irq, hardware address, and stuff like that?

Thanks

2. newbie questions

3. Does Solaris 10 support ASUS P4P800 on-board NIC?

4. Problem with 'vi'-editor under SCO3.2.x

5. RH 7.1 will not find on-board NIC

6. Chipset support for new Dell Latitude?

7. Configuring On-Board NIC

8. lilo fails to install with maxtor 1.6g drive, block size

9. Need Help to config on-board NIC in slackware 7.1

10. On-board Video, sound, NIC

11. How do I use an on-board NIC?

12. Using Linux with Dual PIIs, AGP Video, Large Memory, Large HDs and On-Board SCSI

13. Problem With On-board Video Card For Intel Desktop Board D865GBF