Telnet wont work but ftp will

Post by nei » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I cannot get Telnet into my Linux box although FTP works fine.

I am running PPP from a PC using Windosck and Ewan. This config works
to another UNIX box. FTP works fine to the Linux box. Inetd appears to
be correctly configured.

If I try an Telnet to the loop back I actually get banner up but then
get the message:-

telnetd: ioctl(sctty): Operation not permitted

Connection closed by foreign host.

Any help would be useful.

I am using the Slackware 3 distribution.

Telnet wont work but ftp will

Post by nei » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Got it sorted.

I was running getty on the 'virtual' tty's such as ttyp0. I thought
you  needed to.

OK OK. so I am new to UNIX being a longtime VMS/DOS/WINDOWS/Novell
person.

Never the less I like what I have seen of Linux so far and giving up
on the problem at 3.00 am and comming back after a nights sleep made
all the difference.

1. Telnet wont work...

Hello, i'm having problems to connect with my linux server... When i try to
connect from a windows95 machine, i can see that the session is connected. I
even hear activity on the disk off the linux but i can see no text on my
sesion for about 30 seconds, one minute. After that period commes the login
prompt on screen but has my logon timed out...

What can be the problem here??

Greetings,
Jan Warrot

2. Digital camera.

3. Why wont telnet work with ppp ?

4. java and netscape

5. FTP works only for anonymous, yet telnet works fine for all

6. Can't turn cookie warnings off

7. 98 telnet doesn't work but ftp works

8. S3 Trio64 UV+ & XF86

9. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .

10. ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup

11. why wont sym links work w/ftp?

12. telnet, ftp, http not working