".sign" and ".md5" files

Post by chaffee amit wendel » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:24:56

When I download the kernel (or any other such files) what exactly am I
supposed to do with the .sign and/or .md5 files? I know they're there for
the purpose of validating the downloaded files, but I don't know exactly
how to do this. Thanks for any help.

Amit

".sign" and ".md5" files

Post by Paul Kimo » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:42:57

Quote:> When I download the kernel (or any other such files) what exactly am I
> supposed to do with the .sign and/or .md5 files? I know they're there for
> the purpose of validating the downloaded files, but I don't know exactly
> how to do this.

For files mirrored through kernel.org, see
 http://www.kernel.org/signature.html

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

".sign" and ".md5" files

Post by Swif » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:22:16

Quote:> When I download the kernel (or any other such files) what exactly am I
> supposed to do with the .sign

These are files which contain the signature generated by PGP/GPG.
It is used to see if the file you have downloaded is indeed the
correct file, and hasn't been tampered with.

You need to have PGP/GPG installed to check it (with gpg, using
the --verify argument) _and_ you need to have the "Linux Kernel
Archives Verification Key". It can be downloaded (and imported)
with gpg (~$ is the prompt):
~$ gpg --keyserver www.keyserver.net --recv-keys 517D0F0E

Quote:> and/or .md5 files?

The .md5-files contains the md5 checksums of all the files in the
original (archive)file. After extracting, you should run (~$ is
the prompt):

~$ find $PATH_TO_FILES -type f -exec md5sum '{}' \; > md5sumcheck
~$ diff -u md5sumcheck file.md5

or similar...

--
 SwifT                     -    Key-ID CDBA2FDB
 LUG: http://www.lugwv.be  -    http://www.keyserver.net

".sign" and ".md5" files

Post by Ed Blackm » Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:29:52

>> and/or .md5 files?

>The .md5-files contains the md5 checksums of all the files in the
>original (archive)file. After extracting, you should run (~$ is
>the prompt):

>~$ find $PATH_TO_FILES -type f -exec md5sum '{}' \; > md5sumcheck
>~$ diff -u md5sumcheck file.md5

>or similar...

Or just

~$ md5sum -c file.md5