slackware floppy installation

Post by neville se » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 19:16:36

Hello

I am enquiring how to (if possible) load a basic slackware install
from floppy disks.

The idea is to only have the base system (A) and a couiple of modules
from networking (N).

The question is how do i load the *.tgz files to a floppy. Do i use
rawrite or some other method and what happens to *.tgz larger that the
floppy capacity ie mods245.tgz

regards

neville

Post by Kevin Crox » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:53:45

>Hello

>I am enquiring how to (if possible) load a basic slackware install
>from floppy disks.

>The idea is to only have the base system (A) and a couiple of modules
>from networking (N).

>The question is how do i load the *.tgz files to a floppy. Do i use
>rawrite or some other method and what happens to *.tgz larger that the
>floppy capacity ie mods245.tgz

>regards

>neville

Formerly, until about 3.5, the whole Slack distro could be loaded by
floppies. Now, only the "A" set, some of AP, and the two packages of
tcputils from the "N" set may be loaded in this way. The theory is that
with A and the 2 tcputils from N, you now have a machine with sufficient
networking to install the other packages via NFS or download them to the
machine's hard disk and install them from there. If an occasional package
from A has grown too large for this treatment, it will also have to be
added later via networking and using packagetool.

You prepare a boot disk and a rootdisk using rawrite. To prepare your A
series diskettes, simply copy all the files from .../a1 to a floppy that
you call a1, copy all files from the .../a2 directory to a second floppy
a2... and so forth. Nothing more complicated than that. Rawrite is not
required for this. Copy each of the two tcputils packages to its own
diskette, and the job is done.

Boot your boot disk and run your root disk as normal; partition the hard
disk using command-line fdisk. After rebooting the boot & rootdisks, run
"setup" for installation as you normally would, and set /dev/fd0 as the
source. Install just the A set, configure the machine, and then use
packagetool to install the two N packages, following up by running
./netconfig set up the limited networking capability you'll have
available.

--Kevin

1. Slackware 3.1 Floppy Tape installation

Did anyone succesfully installed Slackware distribution from a QIC-80 tape
cartridge?

My tape drive works perfectly under Linux 1.2.13. I attempted to install
Slackware 3.1 from a tape and I got the message 'tar:/dev/nrft0 wrong file
number' or something like that. Under Linux, my floppy tape is under
/dev/ftape, however there is no such device when booted from installation
floppies. Note that installation floppies were created to install from a
tape.

Does anybody have any comments on this?

Thanks for you time

Oleg Dulin, Clarkson University

2. Freeze in Omnibook Docking Station

3. Can't boot from floppy after Slackware installation

4. COMPUTER-RELATED POSITION SOUGHT

5. Creating Slackware installation floppies

6. (2/2) x440 discontig support on 2.5.62: disco

7. Installation on Pentium from root/boot floppy (Slackware)

8. NUMA Scheduler - rev 4

9. Making floppies out of a Slackware CD for Laptop installation?

10. Slackware installation floppy probe error

11. Problem with Slackware 2.1.0 installation (v/s Slackware 2.0)

12. Slackware 3.0 bootkernel floppy can't mount root