'CPU time limit exceeded' message

Post by Geoff McHug » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I've just recently installed Caldera OpenLinux Base v1.1 on my 128MB
P133.  I am now trying to install XFree86 3.3.2 as it supports the
Revolution 3D video card.  However, each time I try to run the extract
utility I get a 'CPU time limit exceeded' message and the process
aborts.

I noticed this message on a few occasions when I was installing Linux
also.  Has anyone else encountered this message or have any idea what is
causing it?  If I even knew where to begin looking!!! :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Geoff McHugh

'CPU time limit exceeded' message

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

  Geoff> I've just recently installed Caldera OpenLinux Base v1.1 on
  Geoff> my 128MB P133.  I am now trying to install XFree86 3.3.2 as
  Geoff> it supports the Revolution 3D video card.  However, each time
  Geoff> I try to run the extract utility I get a 'CPU time limit
  Geoff> exceeded' message and the process aborts.

  Geoff> I noticed this message on a few occasions when I was
  Geoff> installing Linux also.  Has anyone else encountered this
  Geoff> message or have any idea what is causing it?  If I even knew
  Geoff> where to begin looking!!! :)

Apparently your user resource limit for CPU time is set too low (this
is very odd!).  Do "help ulimit".  If your user CPU time limit (ulimit
-t) value is anythign other than unlimited you will need to change one
of the system initialisation files.

1. Exceeded CPU time limit(coredump)

I am having a curious problem.  I'm running Tru64 v 5.0 on an
AlphaServer DS20 with dual cpu's.  I have a process that I run every
weekend and just recently I've started getting problems with it.  I get
the message: Exceeded CPU time limit(coredump) and the process dies.
When I type 'limit' I get this:
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        14680064 kbytes
stacksize       216891 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       4105296 kbytes
vmemoryuse      14680064 kbytes
descriptors     4096

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this error?  I'm running this from
crontab, does that make a difference?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. NT WWW Server vs. Sun Sparc5 or SGI Indy Comparison Wanted

3. Wierd SIGXCPU problem (cpu time limit exceeded)

4. Getting rid of users.

5. /bin/su: returns 'File size limit exceeded'

6. How to get file access metrics

7. Limiting a User's CPU time - Proposal

8. binaries for converting GIF ==> bitmaps?

9. Limiting CPU time of RLOGIN's...

10. what's clock time?what's user CPU time?what's system CPU time?

11. CPU time used on 4 CPU's?

12. 'update' eats all my CPU time!!

13. Limiting 'w', 'top' and 'ps'