CD players don't work anymore

Post by Brian K. Quad » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:25:47

When I installed RH Linux 7.3, all the CD players that came with the
system worked.  Then I had a second CD ROM installed so that I could
burn CDs from my CD ROM to my burner.  After the second drive was
installed, I can use both CD drives to read data CDs, so I know that
they are hooked up correctly, (and I had a professional install them so
I am pretty sure it was done right).  I can also play wav files from my
hard drive, so my sound card works.  But none of the CD player
applications will play CDs from either of the CD drives anymore.

I thought I would just have to reconfigure the CD players to use the
correct device for audio input but I can't find a place to set the audio
input device.

The CD players on my system are KsCD, XMMS, and there is another one
called Noatun which I have never used.  Any help in getting this to work
again would be much appreciated.

CD players don't work anymore

Post by mjt » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:14:05

Quote:> When I installed RH Linux 7.3, all the CD players that came with the
> system worked.  Then I had a second CD ROM installed so that I could
> burn CDs from my CD ROM to my burner.  After the second drive was
> installed, I can use both CD drives to read data CDs, so I know that
> they are hooked up correctly, (and I had a professional install them so
> I am pretty sure it was done right).  I can also play wav files from my
> hard drive, so my sound card works.  But none of the CD player
> applications will play CDs from either of the CD drives anymore.

> I thought I would just have to reconfigure the CD players to use the
> correct device for audio input but I can't find a place to set the audio
> input device.

> The CD players on my system are KsCD, XMMS, and there is another one
> called Noatun which I have never used.  Any help in getting this to work
> again would be much appreciated.

... have you ensured the audio wires from the CD to the sound
card are plugged in?

CD players don't work anymore

Post by Brian K. Quad » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 01:56:32

Yes, the audio wire is plugged into the sound card.  I have a dual-boot
system with Windows XP and Windows can play CDs just fine which leads me
to think that the internals are all hooked up correctly but the Linux CD
players are not configured to use the correct device.  Does this sound
right or could it be something else?  Does anyone know?

>>When I installed RH Linux 7.3, all the CD players that came with the
>>system worked.  Then I had a second CD ROM installed so that I could
>>burn CDs from my CD ROM to my burner.  After the second drive was
>>installed, I can use both CD drives to read data CDs, so I know that
>>they are hooked up correctly, (and I had a professional install them so
>>I am pretty sure it was done right).  I can also play wav files from my
>>hard drive, so my sound card works.  But none of the CD player
>>applications will play CDs from either of the CD drives anymore.

>>I thought I would just have to reconfigure the CD players to use the
>>correct device for audio input but I can't find a place to set the audio
>>input device.

>>The CD players on my system are KsCD, XMMS, and there is another one
>>called Noatun which I have never used.  Any help in getting this to work
>>again would be much appreciated.

> ... have you ensured the audio wires from the CD to the sound
> card are plugged in?

CD players don't work anymore

Post by Rip Winkl » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 02:17:37

Quote:> Yes, the audio wire is plugged into the sound card.  I have a dual-boot
> system with Windows XP and Windows can play CDs just fine which leads me
> to think that the internals are all hooked up correctly but the Linux CD
> players are not configured to use the correct device.  Does this sound
> right or could it be something else?  Does anyone know?

try to play an audio-cd as root. if you can play it as root, then most
likely it is a permission thing that can me remedied by turning on some
r/w permission bits in proper places.
--
rip winkle

CD players don't work anymore

Post by Brian K. Quad » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:06:16

It doesn't work for root either.  Is it possible that root doesn't even
have permission?  I never changed any of the permissions for root before
the new CD drive was installed though, so I can't imagine how that could
be the problem.

>>Yes, the audio wire is plugged into the sound card.  I have a dual-boot
>>system with Windows XP and Windows can play CDs just fine which leads me
>>to think that the internals are all hooked up correctly but the Linux CD
>>players are not configured to use the correct device.  Does this sound
>>right or could it be something else?  Does anyone know?

> try to play an audio-cd as root. if you can play it as root, then most
> likely it is a permission thing that can me remedied by turning on some
> r/w permission bits in proper places.

CD players don't work anymore

Post by Rip Winkl » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:39:46

Quote:> ...  I never changed any of the permissions for root before
> the new CD drive was installed though, so I can't imagine how that could
> be the problem.

it was just a guess, nothing more.  and may i be so bold as to suggest
you to do some reading and searching on your own, starting with e.g.
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO/index.html>
there's a whole section for playing audio cd's, of course, and a pretty
good answers to faq's, too.
--
rip winkle

CD players don't work anymore

Post by Brian K. Quad » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:29:39

I figured it out but now I have a new problem.

My second CD drive is on /dev/scd0 and my CD burner is on /dev/hdc.  My
audio cable was hooked up to the CD burnder on /dev/hdc.  But it seems
like Linux will only play audio CDs on /dev/scd0.  So I switched the
audio cable and I can play CDs.  Now I don't think I will be able to
burn CDs with Linux.  Not sure if that is just a limitation of Red Hat
Linux 7.3 or what.

> When I installed RH Linux 7.3, all the CD players that came with the
> system worked.  Then I had a second CD ROM installed so that I could
> burn CDs from my CD ROM to my burner.  After the second drive was
> installed, I can use both CD drives to read data CDs, so I know that
> they are hooked up correctly, (and I had a professional install them so
> I am pretty sure it was done right).  I can also play wav files from my
> hard drive, so my sound card works.  But none of the CD player
> applications will play CDs from either of the CD drives anymore.

> I thought I would just have to reconfigure the CD players to use the
> correct device for audio input but I can't find a place to set the audio
> input device.

> The CD players on my system are KsCD, XMMS, and there is another one
> called Noatun which I have never used.  Any help in getting this to work
> again would be much appreciated.

CD players don't work anymore

Post by ne.. » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 00:43:22

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 at 16:29 GMT, Brian K. Quade replied to himself
saying:
[TOP POSTING REARRANGED]

>> When I installed RH Linux 7.3, all the CD players that came with the
>> system worked.  Then I had a second CD ROM installed so that I could
>> burn CDs from my CD ROM to my burner.  After the second drive was
>> installed, I can use both CD drives to read data CDs, so I know that
>> they are hooked up correctly, (and I had a professional install them so
>> I am pretty sure it was done right).  I can also play wav files from my
>> hard drive, so my sound card works.  But none of the CD player
>> applications will play CDs from either of the CD drives anymore.

>> I thought I would just have to reconfigure the CD players to use the
>> correct device for audio input but I can't find a place to set the audio
>> input device.

>> The CD players on my system are KsCD, XMMS, and there is another one
>> called Noatun which I have never used.  Any help in getting this to work
>> again would be much appreciated.
> I figured it out but now I have a new problem.

> My second CD drive is on /dev/scd0 and my CD burner is on /dev/hdc.  My
> audio cable was hooked up to the CD burnder on /dev/hdc.  But it seems
> like Linux will only play audio CDs on /dev/scd0.  So I switched the
> audio cable and I can play CDs.  Now I don't think I will be able to
> burn CDs with Linux.  Not sure if that is just a limitation of Red Hat
> Linux 7.3 or what.

First off please don't top post. Your problem is a limitation of your
linux knowledge. No worries, we can rectify some of that. On my system
with a DVD/CD-ROM and CD burner, I have my DVD/CD-ROM on /dev/hdc and
the burner on /dev/scd0. That's cause linux uses SCSI emulation to burn
stuff. My soundcard also allows for two sound cables to be used and I do.
So switch the drives around and you should be fine. Any problems, report
them here.

HTH.

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

1. FreeBSD 4.8 s10sh don't work anymore

Under FreeBSD 4.7 I used s10sh for my Canon S30 and it worked well.
The kernel is compiled with:
device          uhci
device          usb
device          ugen

and all other options are like under 4.7.

Now with 4.8 I see the S30 with dmesg. I can put and remove it from the
usb, dmseg seems to be o.k., but s10sh can`t detect a camera.

After downgrading to 4.7 everything works fine.

Who has got an idea, how to fix the probleme under 4.8?

Thanks Stephan

2. Problems with Talk under Linux

3. user accounts don't work anymore

4. SMC 8416BT Ethernet + IBM Tokenring /A

5. Wildcards don't work anymore!

6. firewire and 2.4.18

7. gdb & nm don't work anymore (moved to ELF)

8. periodic source

9. some dbm passwords don't work anymore

10. fsp clients don't work anymore under slackware 2.2 !!!?!

11. svgalib utils don't work anymore.

12. Setup & Pkgtool don't work anymore...

13. CREATIVE CD-ROM CD-620E DON'T WORKS