Samba question

Post by Lamar Thoma » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 07:50:18

Hey everyone,

I am running RH 7.1 and samba 2.0.10-2.  I also have a windows 2000
domain controller (PDC) on my network..  I just configured samba and it
seems to be working on the Linux side.  When I ran the "testpram"
command it returned the contents of the "samba.conf" file.

When I ran the "smbstatus" command it returned:

1.  Samba Version 2.0.10
2.  Service    uid     gid     pid     machine
3.  No locked files
4.  Some memory info.

However, when I go over to the Win2k server and go to "My Network
Places" I can see the Linux box but when I try to access it I get the
following msg.:  "\\Linuxbox is not accessible.  The account is not
authorized to log in from this station".  I use the same user name and
password on both systems.  Anyone have any ideas why I can't access my
linux box?  Below is my samba.conf file.  Thanks for any help.

Lamar

[ smb.conf 10K ]
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = DomainName

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = lprng

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 0

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server or
# security = domain
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
;  encrypt passwords = yes
;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# The following is needed to keep smbclient from spouting spurious errors
# when Samba is built with support for SSL.
   ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes
;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
#       a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;   local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
;   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
;   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
;   preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
;   domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
# 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be specified
# the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the unix
# system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts OR
# DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config, /etc/nsswitch.conf
# and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system configuration
# dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS lookups
# in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
# The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that are NOT
# on the local network segment
# - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
;  case sensitive = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /home/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
;   comment = Temporary file space
;   path = /tmp
;   read only = no
;   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /home/samba
;   public = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   write list = @staff

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
# also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
;  writable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
;[public]
;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
;   public = yes
;   only guest = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# The following ...

read more »

Samba question

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 09:40:48

> Hey everyone,

> I am running RH 7.1 and samba 2.0.10-2.  I also have a windows 2000
> domain controller (PDC) on my network..  I just configured samba and
> it
> seems to be working on the Linux side.  When I ran the "testpram"
> command it returned the contents of the "samba.conf" file.

> When I ran the "smbstatus" command it returned:

> 1.  Samba Version 2.0.10
> 2.  Service    uid     gid     pid     machine
> 3.  No locked files
> 4.  Some memory info.

> However, when I go over to the Win2k server and go to "My Network
> Places" I can see the Linux box but when I try to access it I get the
> following msg.:  "\\Linuxbox is not accessible.  The account is not
> authorized to log in from this station".  I use the same user name and
> password on both systems.  Anyone have any ideas why I can't access my
> linux box?  Below is my samba.conf file.  Thanks for any help.

> Lamar

An minimal, functional smb.conf (this one on Solaris):

# Global parameters
[global]
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces = iprb0 192.168.0.3/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
        max log size = 50
        os level = 45
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /export/home/%u
        read only = No

Add your windows user to smbpasswd with the command

# smbpasswd -a user_name

Then read the Using Samba book which should be on your HDD under
/usr/share/samba.

Samba question

Post by Satis Loir » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 02:32:20

Lamar,

first of all, "security=user" should be used for your samba act as a PDC,
if you wanted to join a domain, "security=domain" should be in your smb.conf
workgroup=<your domain name>

then you should make sure you have a valid account for your machine in the
WIN2K PDC, finally, run
"smbpasswd -j <your domain name> -r <name of your win2k PDC>"

then it should be ok.

by the way why don't you upgrade your samba to 2.2.2?

satis

----

=====================================

==============================

> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = no
>    writable = yes

> # Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
> ; [netlogon]
> ;   comment = Network Logon Service
> ;   path = /home/netlogon
> ;   guest ok = yes
> ;   writable = no
> ;   share modes = no

> # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
> # the default is to use the user's home directory
> ;[Profiles]
> ;    path = /home/profiles
> ;    browseable = no
> ;    guest ok = yes

> # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
> # specifically define each individual printer
> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/samba
>    browseable = no
> # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
>    guest ok

read more »

Samba question

Post by Rudolf Potuce » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 06:46:48

Somewhere in the readme for 2.0.7 it said something about the 'guest'
account needing to be active and I guess public for the shares to be
browseable.

What this means is that right now you can still explicitly map to your
machine using the full sharename and passwprd, but the smbd will not
let you browse the available shares ...

Personally I found that in a mixed system (Win95, Win98, NT4, Linux) it
is easier and probably safer to use the Linux box as fileserver and use
share-level security ...

Just my $.02,

  Rudolf

Post by Ming H » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:47:14

> # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
> # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
> # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
> ;  encrypt passwords = yes
> ;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

One thing I noticed is the ecrypt passwords is still comment out.

W2k's default is encrypt.  And samba 2.0.8 default is plain.  So it's safe to turn on encrypt passwords in 2.0.10.

Samba question

Post by Roger N. Clar » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 07:17:39

Did you open up the firewall ports to let samba
through on the linux box?  I had problems with samba--
turned out I was doing samba right, just RH7.1
was blocking samba by default.

Roger

Lamar Thomas wrote:
> [...]

> ;[Profiles]
> ;    path = /home/profiles
> ;    browseable = no
> ;    guest ok = yes

> # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
> # specifically define each individual printer
> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/samba
>    browseable = no
> # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
>    guest ok = no
>    printable = yes

> # This one is useful for people to share files
> ;[tmp]
> ;   comment = Temporary file space
> ;   path = /tmp
> ;   read only = no
> ;   public = yes

> # A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in

read more »

Samba question

Post by yugam » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 12:38:21

Quote:>> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>>    workgroup = DomainName

i'm assuming DomainName is supposed to be your domain, this is good

Quote:>> # Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
>> # security_level.txt for details.
>>    security = user

you have 2 options
security = server

and then set password server to = your PDC

Quote:>> # Use password server option only with security = server or
>> # security = domain
>> ;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

or

uncomment these 2 lines and use smbpasswd to map unix users to smb users

Quote:>> # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
>> # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
>> # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
>> ;  encrypt passwords = yes
>> ;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

1. Samba Performance - Not a samba question about Windows Pwd Encrypt!

I am having real bad results with the performance of samba - I wonder if
this is normal.

Last night I went to tranfer a rather large file across the little
network (3 Win98 and the Linux Server) from a Win98 to Linux.  The file
was about 170Mb and the NICs are all 10/100's but using a 10 hub at the
moment - so limiting the network to 10Mbps.

Windows estimated 91 minutes to complete the copy.  Needless to say - I
clicked the Cancel button.  I found in the end that I could ftp the file
across in a matter of minutes.

Also noted, was that the HD light in the Linux box was flickering
'nicely' - small blocks being written often, and running top showed the
the smb process was taking 100% cpu.

Any ideas where to start looking here?  or is this normal?

One thing I have not tried is getting a newer release of Samba, I can't
remember the version I am currently using, but it's the one that came
with my Caldera 1.3 build - and I know that a newer one is out - I
wonder whether this is one of the changes?

Any help would be great.

2. Installing thru External CD-Rom

3. Samba question: Win98 workstation with a private IP can't see Samba

4. Really useful/pretty apache vhost logging?

5. Samba Question - How do I stop samba?

6. SMC Etherpower w/ DEC 21041

7. samba questions

8. RH7.1 and AppleTalk network

9. General Samba Question