SCSI timeouts during setup (aha2940)

Post by Will D » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 03:33:46

I'm trying to install Slackware on my second SCSI drive, hosted on a
PCI Adaptec 2940.  The distribution bootdisks/kernels wouldn't
identify the host (scsi : 0 hosts), but the aha274x/aic7xxx bootdisk
on ftp.cpsc.ucalgary.ca found both my disks (dos is on the first).

Setup hung on two separate occasions at varying points, requiring a
hard reset.  Using the tty144 rootdisk instead of the color144, I was
able to see these errors:

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 10854, scsi 0, id 1, lun \
        0 Write (6) 01 87 b4 02 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 10855, scsi 0, id 0, lun \
        0 Read (6) 00 02 1d 01 00
SCSI host 0 abort() timed out - resetting aic7xxx : attempting to reset \
        scsi bus and card
scsi : aborting
[repeated]

Is there anything I can do to try and resolve this, or am I pretty
much stuck until better support for the 2940 is completed?  Needless
to say I didn't buy this system with Linux in mind at the time.

Thanks.

--
Will Day                                 OIT, Georgia Tech, Atlanta 30332-0715

---
And you can thank my dental hygenist for our untimely aliveness.
    - Tick, The Tick vs. Chairface Chippendale

1. SCSI timeouts - AHA2940 - FBSD 2.1.5

Hello everybody,

recently I had to upgrade the hardware and the software of
my FBSD system.

old system: 486DX2, EISA-Board (SIS-Chip),
            AHA1742 / AHA2742AT,
            32MB RAM
            FreeBSD 2.1

new system: ASUS T2P4, AHA2940AU, 64MB RAM

2. Radio Player for Solaris

3. AHA2940 general-protection fault,scsi timeout

4. shared libraries

5. SCSI HD on AHA2940,IDE-CDROM setup

6. 10 May LinuxCAD v 1.5

7. AHA2940 SCSI and Linux Setup, Help!

8. Motif distributor

9. IRQ Timeout during setup

10. SCSI timeouts during boot - command to ignore?

11. SCSI timeout during install.... :-(

12. PAS SCSI timeouts with Slackware "setup"...help!