XFree86 setup under Caldera 3.1 server

Post by Gary Dal » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 05:09:08

I had been running Caldera eServer 2.3 on a Compaq Deskpro EN/PIII-450.
This has an ATI Rage Pro 8M (similar to an Xpert98) video display. I
upgraded to Caldera 3.1 server recently but have not been able to get
xfree86 working properly. After the upgrade the system booted properly
and took me into KDE but when I rebooted, it wouldn't restart X. I redid
the upgrade (it even found 2 rpms that needed upgrading the second time)
to get back in and set the default runlevel to 3 to let me back in after
a reboot. It boots to 3 fine but won't start X.

I tried running xf86cfg but that hangs. Apparently it can't connect to
the server...

I manually edited XF86Config-4 where I found some strange entries for
the video card. I corrected these to use the "ati" driver and was able
to get KDE to start - but it looks like it's in VGA mode. I ran the
preferences | system | display configuration and set it to the correct
video board but when I shut down X and restarted, it wouldn't. I
discovered that the driver line in XF86Config-4 was "", so I put it back
to "ati" and I can restart KDE - with VGA mode again.

Anyone have any ideas?

XFree86 setup under Caldera 3.1 server

Post by Gary Dal » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 05:31:36

Never mind. It seems that the new xfree isn't letting me set the video
to my previous default of 1600 x 1200 for some reason. I've got it
running now at 1280 x 1024 which isn't too bad. Still, I'd prefer to go
back to 1600 x 1200 if anyone knows how.

> I had been running Caldera eServer 2.3 on a Compaq Deskpro EN/PIII-450.
> This has an ATI Rage Pro 8M (similar to an Xpert98) video display. I
> upgraded to Caldera 3.1 server recently but have not been able to get
> xfree86 working properly. After the upgrade the system booted properly
> and took me into KDE but when I rebooted, it wouldn't restart X. I redid
> the upgrade (it even found 2 rpms that needed upgrading the second time)
> to get back in and set the default runlevel to 3 to let me back in after
> a reboot. It boots to 3 fine but won't start X.

> I tried running xf86cfg but that hangs. Apparently it can't connect to
> the server...

> I manually edited XF86Config-4 where I found some strange entries for
> the video card. I corrected these to use the "ati" driver and was able
> to get KDE to start - but it looks like it's in VGA mode. I ran the
> preferences | system | display configuration and set it to the correct
> video board but when I shut down X and restarted, it wouldn't. I
> discovered that the driver line in XF86Config-4 was "", so I put it back
> to "ati" and I can restart KDE - with VGA mode again.

> Anyone have any ideas?

1. Can I use XFree86 3.1 Mach64 SVGA server in XFree86 2.1?

[ Article crossposted from comp.windows.x.i386unix ]
[ Author was Roger Bacalzo ]
[ Posted on 11 Nov 1994 16:57:12 GMT ]

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Mach64 graphics card.

Now, I know the Mach64 is only supported in unaccelerated mode
right now.  And I don't mind waiting until the accelerated driver
does get finished.

However, I plan to use XFree86 2.1 because it's X11R5 based.  Can
I use the XFree86 3.1 Mach64 SVGA server and the later accelerated
server coming in XFree86 >= 3.2 in XFree86 2.1?

Thanks in advance.

- Roger -

Roger Bacalzo
GTE Systems Operations
22027 17th Avenue SE                    Phone:(206)487-8534

Roger Bacalzo
GTE Systems Operations
22027 17th Avenue SE                    Phone:(206)487-8534

2. auto-install/jumpstart root password

3. 2 GB file size limitation in Caldera OpenLinux 3.1 using Samba and ftp server

4. Linux firewalls - how is the protection?

5. X Server Problem in Caldera 3.1 (LINUX 2.4 Kernel)

6. REPOST: SPAMMED by an anti-spammer! How's that!!!

7. Question: XFree86 3.1 Setup (Xconfig, XF86Config?)

8. Q: What list server would you recomend?

9. XFree86 3.1.2A and Diamond 2001 Setup ????

10. XFree86 3.1 and Open Server 5.0 ?

11. Alpha Mach 64 X-server and XFREE86 3.1

12. ANNOUNCE: XFree86 3.1.1u2 S3 server binary for Linux (S3 968 and 868 s

13. XConfig for MGA PCI II for XFree86 3.1 SVGA Server?