How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Francis Lam the Bert in Ses » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
sth in the /etc/fstab file?

Cheers,

Francis.

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Miikka Laak » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
>display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
>sth in the /etc/fstab file?

>Cheers,

>Francis.

change the type to vfat

Miikka L??kk?

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by vector-sigm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> >I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
> >display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
> >sth in the /etc/fstab file?

> >Cheers,

> >Francis.

> change the type to vfat

And how am I supposed to do that? I am new to Linux

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Pierre Divers » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

go to /etc

and edit fstab

it should look somethig like this (yours could be longer or shorter)

/dev/hda6               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto,owner    0 0
/dev/fd1                /mnt/floppy2            vfat    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

the first thing is the device, the second one is the mount point and the one
you want to change is the third, the type. Thats going from left to right.
You change that to vfat and you get long file names from a windows
partition.

Ex.
change

/dev/hdb1        /mnt/win95           msdos     blah,blah,blah

/dev/hdb1        /mnt/win95           vfat          blah,blah,blah

  *** Do make sure you have support for vfat either compiled into the kernel
or as a module before you change it.

good luck,

Pierre Divers

>> >I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
>> >display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with
changing
>> >sth in the /etc/fstab file?

>> >Cheers,

>> >Francis.

>> change the type to vfat

>And how am I supposed to do that? I am new to Linux

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[attributions lost]

Quote:>> >I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
>> >display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
>> >sth in the /etc/fstab file?

>> change the type to vfat

>And how am I supposed to do that? I am new to Linux

Edit /etc/fstab, and change the third field on the appropriate line(s)
to 'vfat'.

--

"Choose mnemonic identifiers. If you can't remember what
 mnemonic means, you've got a problem." - perlstyle(1p)

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> >I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
>> >display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
>> >sth in the /etc/fstab file?

>> >Cheers,

>> >Francis.

>> change the type to vfat

>And how am I supposed to do that? I am new to Linux

Here's a sample from my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda9       /d              vfat    noauto,user,uid=500,gid=500     0       0

However, for CD-ROMs it should be automatic - I have no idea why
you see a problem.  Post more details perhaps?

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >> change the type to vfat

> >And how am I supposed to do that? I am new to Linux

> Here's a sample from my /etc/fstab file:

> /dev/hda9       /d              vfat    noauto,user,uid=500,gid=500     0       0

> However, for CD-ROMs it should be automatic - I have no idea why
> you see a problem.  Post more details perhaps?

Perhaps the MS joliet extensions are not compiled in? Using CD's burned in
most windows burning programs needs the joliet extensions to use long
filenames.

Rasmus B?g Hansen

    ,-----.
   {|[;["[|=-.   ?l blev jo opfundet ved en fejltagelse
   `|[.[ [| ))   Fejltagelsen bestod i, at det ikke blev opfundet noget f?r
    `====='

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 23 Feb 2000 07:25:57 GMT, Francis Lam the Bert in Sesam

Quote:

>I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
>display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
>sth in the /etc/fstab file?

yes, at least for the DOS part...

/dev/hda1   /mnt/win   vfat   noauto,user  0  0

The CD-ROM part is a bit different.  Many CD-ROMs are made using the
Joliet extensions to the ISO9660 standard, which allow long filenames for
DOS/Win in Unicode.  Your CD-ROM driver has to have support for Joliet
extensions compiled in; this probably means a kernel recompile.  Make sure
to enable ROck Ridge extensions while you're at it; these provide similar
functionality and are found on Linux distro CDs.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Michael Pronat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
> display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
> sth in the /etc/fstab file?

> Cheers,

> Francis.

I've got a somewhat related problem, perhaps could anyone comment on this:
A set of HTML documents that refer to each other by links was burned on
a cdrom.  This was obviously done under old Windoze, as all filenames are
8.3 lower case.  Unfortunately, all links in the HTML-files are 8.3
_upper_ case. Like '<A HREF="METATOC.HTM">', but there is a file
'metatoc.htm' on the cdrom.  Result:  No links can be resolved, no images
are found.
I didn't find any mount option for that.

Michael

--

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I've installed linux for some time but I don't know how to make linux
>> display the long filenames in DOS and CDRom. Should I begin with changing
>> sth in the /etc/fstab file?

For ordinary Windows 95-type filesystems, mount as type vfat rather than
fat, msdos, or umsdos. vfat support must be compiled into your kernel or
available as a module; see the "Filesystems" section in the kernel
configuration.

For CD-ROMs, make sure that you've enabled Microsoft Joliet extensions
in the same section of the kernel configuration (and recompiled and
reinstalled the kernel if necessary).

Quote:>I've got a somewhat related problem, perhaps could anyone comment on this:
>A set of HTML documents that refer to each other by links was burned on
>a cdrom.  This was obviously done under old Windoze, as all filenames are
>8.3 lower case.  Unfortunately, all links in the HTML-files are 8.3
>_upper_ case. Like '<A HREF="METATOC.HTM">', but there is a file
>'metatoc.htm' on the cdrom.  Result:  No links can be resolved, no images
>are found.
>I didn't find any mount option for that.

It's almost right at the top of the iso9660 section in 'man mount' ...

Try 'check=relaxed'. As the man page notes, this is probably only
meaningful together with 'norock' and 'map=normal', but the latter is
the default and if this is an old Windows CD then Rock Ridge extensions
probably aren't available anyway.

--

"I guess we'll have to use something other than TCP to talk to
 the University of Mars." - /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/tcp_timer.c

How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

Post by Michael Pronat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I didn't find any mount option for that.

> It's almost right at the top of the iso9660 section in 'man mount' ...

> Try 'check=relaxed'. As the man page notes, this is probably only
> meaningful together with 'norock' and 'map=normal', but the latter is
> the default and if this is an old Windows CD then Rock Ridge extensions
> probably aren't available anyway.

Sorry, my fault.  I had tried this option and 'ls /mnt/cdrom' still
printed the lower case filenames, so I thought it had failed.

Michael

--

1. Samba/Win95/DOS/Linux and long filenames

Hi folks,
I have a somehow strange problem:

I have a Linux box with DOS and Linux installed (DOS used for booting -
then switching to Linux) and therefore an old DOS partition on the HD.

Now I use Samba to connect to the Linux machine's drives from a Win95
box. Using a filesystem subtree out of the Linux HD there is no problem
with using long filenames with Win95 - but - of course - the
DOS partition does not allow long filenames to be written to the disk.

Is there any possibility to change the old DOS filesystem to a newer
Win95 type without installing Win95 onto my Linux box once? I am looking
for a procedure which does exactly what Win95 does to an old DOS
filesystem when being installed.

Regards, Stefan.

--

DMSP Internet Marketing, Berlin, Germany (http://www.dmsp.com)
Phone: +49-30-6043996, Fax & Dial-in: +49-30-6048594 (24hours)

2. Qt Designer and Custom Widgets for KDE 2.0

3. Linux support for DOS long filenames?

4. How can I spot a fake UNIX Systems Administrator

5. GNU Gunzip long filename file in DOS shell

6. Need cable modem setup advice

7. DOS long filename FAT filesystem?

8. Meaning of the .user.pop files

9. DOS FS with long filenames (Win95)

10. Should mount autodetect vfat file systems (Was: Long filenames on DOS partitions)

11. Win95/Solarisx86 mounting dos disk with long filenames

12. Long filenames on DOS partitions

13. Long dos filenames