can't telnet to my own machine

Post by Taylor Sutherla » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have SuSE 5.3 installed and everything (I thought) necessary for
networking.  I can get on to the net ok.  I have a dynamic address
account, so I know my real address changes each dialup, but I should
be able to find out what that is (sometimes I use irc and /whois
myself to find out from where I'm coming) and then try to connect to
that address, but I can't.  When I installed slackware, I had no
trouble doing this.   Any body have a clue why I can't connect to my
own machine from outside?

Taylor Sutherland

Whatever it was, it wasn't my fault!
Since I hate junk mail,
replace the "booney" with "boone" to respond.

Post by Artur Gm » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I have SuSE 5.3 installed and everything (I thought) necessary for
>networking.  I can get on to the net ok.  I have a dynamic address
>account, so I know my real address changes each dialup, but I should
>be able to find out what that is (sometimes I use irc and /whois
>myself to find out from where I'm coming) and then try to connect to
>that address, but I can't.  When I installed slackware, I had no
>trouble doing this.   Any body have a clue why I can't connect to my
>own machine from outside?

>Taylor Sutherland

>Whatever it was, it wasn't my fault!
>Since I hate junk mail,
>replace the "booney" with "boone" to respond.

Check your /etc/inetd.conf for telnetd. By the way can you telnet
to localhost . Try telnet localhost.

1. Help please: Can't telnet to my own machine.

Hello,

        Please help me solve this problem.

        Everytime I try to telnet to my machine this is the result.

/home/root > telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
/home/root >

        I am doing something wrong or did I forget something?

        BTW, I am using Yggdrasil Linux version Fall'94 but I upgraded the
        kernel to version 1.2

Thanks in advance.

Charles

2. Does anybody know where I can buy RedHat Linux in Vancouver BC, Canada?????

3. can't telnet to m own machine

4. Kernel 2.2.0-pre1

5. RedHat 8.0 -- Telnet works to local host, but can't telnet from a remote machine

6. Sr. Solaris Administration contract

7. Can't Telnet of Ftp to my machine _from_ a DOS machine.

8. RH6 eggdrop

9. How will I be able to telnet(rlogin, finger, etc) my own machine?

10. Connection refused -- how to telnet(ftp,rlogin, etc) my own machine?

11. how do you put your own machines in your own DNS server?

12. Getting machine's own IP address?

13. Q:can't telnet into own host.