Configuring ?a very simple network? (Again)

Configuring ?a very simple network? (Again)

Post by Mari » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:22:00

Thank you Ian Northeast & Fred Murphy for your preciose help (see post
Configuring ?a very simple network? )

It seems to me that things are working out in "pc1" witch has RHLinux 7.2
but I cannot find out how to configure the network card and enter the IP
address for pc2 with RHLinux 4.1.
I read parts of the Ethernet Howto but I just can't reach a definite
conclusion.
In pc1 it was easy: the netconfig command displays a couple of options to be
filled that let me do so, but in RHL 4.1 I just do not know what to do.

Mario

PS
I tried to ping pc2 from pc1 (ping 192.168.1.2) and received a msg similar
to: ?Host unreachable?, witch leads me to think that everything is ?fine?

tried the same but from pc2 to pc1 (ping 192.168.1.1) and the msg was:
Network unreacheable. I suppose that this is due to unconfiguration of the
network card.

pc1=192.168.1.1 (with RHL 7.2)
pc2=192.168.1.2 (with RHL 4.1)

Post by Ian Northeas » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 18:17:07

> Thank you Ian Northeast & Fred Murphy for your preciose help (see post
> Configuring ?a very simple network? )

> It seems to me that things are working out in "pc1" witch has RHLinux 7.2
> but I cannot find out how to configure the network card and enter the IP
> address for pc2 with RHLinux 4.1.
> I read parts of the Ethernet Howto but I just can't reach a definite
> conclusion.
> In pc1 it was easy: the netconfig command displays a couple of options to be
> filled that let me do so, but in RHL 4.1 I just do not know what to do.

4.1 is very old now, I havn't seen it for many years. It may have a
program called "netcfg" which is easy to use but X based so it will only
work if your X server does.

You will probably have to configure it manually.

First ensure that the module ("driver") for the card is loaded. Enter
"lsmod". If it is not, load it with "modprobe <module>" (you havn't said
what the card is, so I can't tell you the module name) and make it
permanant by putting "alias eth0 <module>" in /etc/conf.modules[1]. If
you have trouble here, tell us what the card is.

RH keeps the configuration information for the first ethernet interface
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. This should contain:

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

Enter this, then "ifup eth0".

Regards, Ian

PS is there a good reason you are running such an ancient version of RH?
If not it would be best to upgrade it, perhaps not to 7.x if it doesn't
have a lot of memory etc. but at least to e.g. 6.2.

[1] Yes, conf.modules, early RH releases used this name not
modules.conf.

1. Configuring ?a very simple network?

Hello everyone

I need some help to configure two PCs that I have at home.

They are connected to each other via a network cable: One is runnig RHLinux
7.2 and the other RHLinux 4.1 (Vanderbuilt), kernel 2.0.27

My goal is to practice some some basic exercises from Richard Stevens "Unix
Network Programming" that deal with sockets.
Also I'd like to exploit some Unix commands like ping, tcpdump, etc... I
suppose that comprehension of those commands will be hard if I use just a
single standalone computer.

I've notice that there are some unix commands that let one configure a
network but I just do not know how to fill the parameters. One of them,
netconfig, presents the following screen:

     Configure TCP/IP:

[ ]Use dynamic Configuration (BOOTP/DHCP)

   IP address________________
   Netmask___________________
   Default Gateway___________
   Primary Name Server_______

Any kind of help will be most welcome.

    Thank you very much
    Mario

2. IBM or SUN

3. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

4. 5 printing related questions - need help, please?

5. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

6. Ghost NG. What to use???

7. Again, again, and again

8. can't resolve symbol

9. LinuxMall spams again and again and again...

10. Network blocks randomly (no traffic) network restart makes it work again

11. help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

12. Simple Bash question again

13. Simple howto for configuring a standalone firewall/router ?