Boot NT, OS/2, Linux with OS/2-Bootmanager ???

Boot NT, OS/2, Linux with OS/2-Bootmanager ???

Post by Wolfgang Reichenbac » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've got a big problem:
I must install a fake NT on my Linuxbox. I'm running now OS/2 and Linux.
Everything works fine, till NT
comes. Cause NT has it own Boot (Manager - bullshit) it deaktivates my
OS/2 Bootmanager. OK. After
I installed NT I have activated the OS/2 Bootmanager with fdisk. OS/2
and Linux working well.
NT don't (This is userfriendly und plug and play). NT can't load the
kernel NTLDR or something else.

So how can I do a Bootconfig that works well with all this Systems ??

Here is my actual partition table :

SCSI Disk 0:    4GB

MB            System
Type                    Flag
4                BootManager
-                            Primary
500            OS/2
HPFS                    Primary
500            NT
NTFS                   Primary
1024          -
NTFS                   Extended logic
1024         -
NTFS                    Extented logic
1067        -
ext2                        Extended logic

SCSI Disk 1:     2GB
1023        Linux
ext2                        Ex. logic
500            Linux
ext2                        -"-
500            Linux
ext2                        -"-

SCSI Disk 2 and 3:    data partitions !

Please send my any tips. First I've install the OS/2 Bootmanager at the
end of free space. After reboot
there is the message "Error loading operating system "

Thanks

Wolfgang Reichenbach

Post by Michael Duski » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've got a big problem:
> I must install a fake NT on my Linuxbox. I'm running now OS/2 and >Linux...

I happen to have the same configuration up and running.
There are two important things to keep in mind. First,
All Microsoft operating systems must start from the first
primary partition from the first master hard drive. Microsoft
makes it -look- like NT is starting from some other drive,
but even if NT is installed on drive Q, it still starts from
C, which contains its booting info (incuding BOOT.INI). In
practical terms, this means that C must be FAT or NTFS and
contain a Microsoft operating system.

Second, the system automatically boots from whatever
primary partition is set as "active" from fdisk. When
Boot Manager is the active partition, the system boots
to it first and then Boot Manger lets you decide where
to go next.  When you install Win95 or NT on a system that
already has Boot Manager, the installation program will tell
you that Boot Manager is incompatible with the OS you're installing
and proceed to disable it by changing the active partition.
The "incompatibility" message is, of course, a blatant lie.
(It reminds me of the cute message in the MS-DOS 6.x install
program that asks you if you want to "upgrade" from OS/2 to
MS-DOS.) To restore boot manager, you only have to go back
into fdisk and make it the active partition again.

Here is a complete plan for setting up a system
with 4 operating systems (OS/2,Win95,WinNT,Linux):

1) Install OS/2 first. From OS/2's FDisk, create three
partitions: Boot Manger, primary, extended. Leave yourself
enough free space at the end for your type 82 and 83 Linux
partitions, but don't actually make those partitions here.
Divide your extended partition into at least two logical
drives, one for NT and one for OS/2.

2) Install Windows 95 on the primary partition.

3) Install Windows NT on the first logical drive.

4) Install Linux. During the install process, use
the Linux fdisk to create your linux partitions and
set the OS/2 boot manager partition to active.

5) This step is the fancy maneuver. Reboot the machine. From
boot manager, select OS/2. Use OS/2's FDisk to add two
partitions to the boot manager menu: 1) The partition
which contains Win95. Call it "Win95/NT" or something of
that sort. 2) The type 82 Linux partition.

When you reboot and use Boot Manager to select Win95/NT,
you'll get NT's operating system loader which will let
you select NT or Win95.

You could, of course, use the same general technique to
create a 3 operating system machine (WinNT, OS/2, Linux).
Just install NT on the first primary partition (where we
installed Win95 in the example above).

Boot NT, OS/2, Linux with OS/2-Bootmanager ???

Post by Quentin Stephen » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

:>Hi,
:>
:>I've got a big problem:
:>I must install a fake NT on my Linuxbox. I'm running now OS/2 and Linux.
:>Everything works fine, till NT
:>comes. Cause NT has it own Boot (Manager - bullshit) it deaktivates my
:>OS/2 Bootmanager. OK. After
:>I installed NT I have activated the OS/2 Bootmanager with fdisk. OS/2
:>and Linux working well.
:>NT don't (This is userfriendly und plug and play). NT can't load the
:>kernel NTLDR or something else.
:>
:>So how can I do a Bootconfig that works well with all this Systems ??

Easy: add NT to your Boot Manager setup, then amend NT's BOOT.INI, which is a
hidden file - you will need to amend the partition() information.

However, you may find it better to do a complete reinstall of NT and OS/2.
Install NT first, into a Primary partition, then OS/2 into an Extended
partition
qts

NOTE: Header deliberately reversed!

1. Boot NT, OS/2, Linux with OS/2-Bootmanager ???

1) Microsoft and IBM use different algorithms for calculating drives.  Beware
multiple drives and multiple operating systems - the assigned drive codes
won't match.
2) Earlier comments aren't quite correct. NT will happlily boot from any
primary partition, not just the first one.  However to achieve this you must
ensure that subsequent added operating systems do not affect the automatically

asigned drive code and partition number.  If the partition number is changed
then edit boot.ini (system and hidden).  If the drive code changes God Help
You.  You will need a bulk change of the NT registry (e.g. changeing every
occurrence of D: for C: etc).
3) I've given OS/2 warp 4 up because Warp bootmanager failed to see my 5.6Gb
IDE drive as anything bigger than 64Mb ;-(
4) A better solution entirely is to use lilo to select the operating system /
partition then you're home and dry without Warp or NT boot manager :-)

--
MadMonk

2. SP vs. S70 or ?

3. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

4. Porting windows application to Linux

5. alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.misc

6. PLIP on IBM thiunkPad 750 CS, any Luck?

7. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.misc

8. Community Radio data broadcast

9. comp.os.linux.misccomp.os.linux.misccomp.os.linux.misc

10. To boot Linux from OS/2 Bootmanager

11. Can I boot Linux with OS/2 Bootmanager?

12. Booting MSDOS, OS/2, Linux me dOS/2 Bootmanager

13. Has anyone gotten OS/2 BootManager to boot Linux off third EIDE HD?