Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Post by enriqu » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 02:33:53

Yello

I can't get win98 to boot from hdg with lilo. I have to drive on a
Promise ATA100 controller: linux hde and win98 on hdg.
If I try to boot win98 lilo just halts at: L?
I am pretty sure I have to use map-drive but how I don't know.
This is my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hde
disk=/dev/hde
    bios=0x80
default=linux
restricted
password= ( secret :)
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-0.6
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hde7
        append=" video=matrox:vesa:0x11C"
 (47 other kernels ;)
other=/dev/hdg1
        optional
        label=Winblows98
# Which of this is right
#       table=/dev/hdg
#       map-drive = 0x80
#       to = 0x81
#       map-drive = 0x81
#       to = 0x80

--
Mvh. / Kind regards
Henrik Farre < enrique AT obel DOT auc DOT dk >

Post by Miven Cedric Dooligan II » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 04:41:14

> Yello

> I can't get win98 to boot from hdg with lilo. I have to drive on a
> Promise ATA100 controller: linux hde and win98 on hdg.
> If I try to boot win98 lilo just halts at: L?
> I am pretty sure I have to use map-drive but how I don't know.
> This is my lilo.conf:

> boot=/dev/hde
> disk=/dev/hde
>     bios=0x80
> default=linux
> restricted
> password= ( secret :)
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> message=/boot/message
> lba32

> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-0.6
>         label=linux
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/hde7
>         append=" video=matrox:vesa:0x11C"
>  (47 other kernels ;)
> other=/dev/hdg1
>         optional
>         label=Winblows98
> # Which of this is right
> #       table=/dev/hdg
> #       map-drive = 0x80
> #       to = 0x81
> #       map-drive = 0x81
> #       to = 0x80

As far as I know, getting any micros~1 os to boot from something other
than hda1
is nearly impossible.  I've tried it many times and only met with
partial success.
If you can even get it to boot, you probably won't be able to open 'my
computer'
without waiting for (literally) ten minutes for it to beat the *out
of your
hard drives trying to figure out what the hell is going on.  Yep... if
you want
ms stuff, just give it hda, and let linux have the rest.

ps.  Whare'd you get the seventh ide port (hdg) from, and what io/irq
settings
do you use?  I mean, is there any irq's left after hde/hdf get 12?

Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Post by enriqu » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 04:55:50

Yello

Quote:> As far as I know, getting any micros~1 os to boot from something other
> than hda1
> is nearly impossible.  I've tried it many times and only met with
> partial success.

It has worked fine from hde

Quote:> ps.  Whare'd you get the seventh ide port (hdg) from, and what io/irq
> settings
> do you use?  I mean, is there any irq's left after hde/hdf get 12?

From my Promise ATA100 integrated pci controller, on my Asus A7V mobo.
hda to hdd is ATA66, everything provided by the KT133 chipset.

--
Mvh. / Kind regards
Henrik Farre < enrique AT obel DOT auc DOT dk >
- If I where God, I would recompile the penguin with --enable-flying.

Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Post by AthlonRo » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 07:01:47

Windows needs to *boot* from hda.  The only way around that I've heard of is
System Commander said they hoped to have that in a future version a year or
three back.

Now... Windows needs to boot from the first hard drive.  It just needs to
boot from it, everything can be on a different drive.  If you create a 20MB
FAT16 partition on hda (a primary partition, not a logical one) and install
Windows telling it to install on D: (which will be the FAT32 partition on
hdg) it will copy virtually all its files to hdg, just putting the files
needed for booting on C: (the 20MB FAT16 partition you created earlier).

This will, of course, overwrite LILO, so be prepared to bring that back.
Once Lilo is back telling it to boot from the FAT16 partition should work.

I hope this makes sense... multibooting can get interesting as it is never
ever the same from system to system  :-)

Rob  <~~Has had five OSes booting from two drives

> Yello

> > As far as I know, getting any micros~1 os to boot from something other
> > than hda1
> > is nearly impossible.  I've tried it many times and only met with
> > partial success.

> It has worked fine from hde

> > ps.  Whare'd you get the seventh ide port (hdg) from, and what io/irq
> > settings
> > do you use?  I mean, is there any irq's left after hde/hdf get 12?

> From my Promise ATA100 integrated pci controller, on my Asus A7V mobo.
> hda to hdd is ATA66, everything provided by the KT133 chipset.

> --
> Mvh. / Kind regards
> Henrik Farre < enrique AT obel DOT auc DOT dk >
> - If I where God, I would recompile the penguin with --enable-flying.

Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 07:26:18

Quote:> Windows needs to *boot* from hda.  The only way around that I've heard of
is
> System Commander said they hoped to have that in a future version a year
or
> three back.

Note that "the first hard drive" can be /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, /dev/hde, or
whatever depending on which IDE controller it is on, whether it is a master
or a slave drive and other drives are on the same controller, or whether

deliberately reorders the IDE controllers without telling you.

Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Post by enriqu » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:52:21

Yello

> Windows needs to *boot* from hda.  The only way around that I've heard
> of is System Commander said they hoped to have that in a future version
> a year or three back.

Well it works fine from hde.

Quote:> Now... Windows needs to boot from the first hard drive.  It just needs
> to boot from it, everything can be on a different drive.  If you create
> a 20MB FAT16 partition on hda (a primary partition, not a logical one)
> and install Windows telling it to install on D: (which will be the FAT32
> partition on hdg) it will copy virtually all its files to hdg, just
> putting the files needed for booting on C: (the 20MB FAT16 partition you
> created earlier).

If it can boot from hde it can boot from hdg. When I first installed
linux, it did not support (out of the box) my promise controller, so I
installed it on hda (ata66). If I can get the drive mapping right, I sure
it will work, but all combinations have failed until now. I base this on:
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/iboot.html

--
Mvh. / Kind regards
Henrik Farre < enrique AT obel DOT auc DOT dk >
- If I where God, I would recompile the penguin with --enable-flying.

Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Post by enriqu » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:53:39

Yello

> Note that "the first hard drive" can be /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, /dev/hde, or
> whatever depending on which IDE controller it is on, whether it is a
> master or a slave drive and other drives are on the same controller, or

> 2.2.16 patch that deliberately reorders the IDE controllers without
> telling you.

Kernel: 2.4.17

And lilo does only work with this setting:
disk=/dev/hde
    bios=0x80

--

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:17:10

> Yello

> > Note that "the first hard drive" can be /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, /dev/hde, or
> > whatever depending on which IDE controller it is on, whether it is a
> > master or a slave drive and other drives are on the same controller, or

> > 2.2.16 patch that deliberately reorders the IDE controllers without
> > telling you.

> Kernel: 2.4.17

> And lilo does only work with this setting:
> disk=/dev/hde
>     bios=0x80

Do you need the "bios=" setting? Do you have hard drives on /dev/hd[a-d]?

Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

Post by enriqu » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 23:54:05

Yello

> Do you need the "bios=" setting? Do you have hard drives on
> /dev/hd[a-d]?

Well I had.. Now I have a DVD-drive there (hda). But I'm pretty sure I
need it, but I will try to disabled it.