HELP : Compiling linux kernel 2.0.34

Post by Mohammad Bahathir Hashi » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello world,

I am trying to compile linux kernel 2.0.34 that I obtained from a ftp site.

The problem are, when I do

# make menuconfig

there was a error

make: execvp: mv: Too many symbolic links encountered
make: *** [include/linux/version.h] Error 127

I could not found that version.h in include/linux. So I tried to use linux
kernel 2.0.33 version.h; and I can `make menuconfig` successfully.

But, when I tried to `make dep' . It stops half way and gave some errors.

make[1]: leaving directory '/hdc1/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
mv .tmpdepend .depend
make: execvp: mv: Too many symbolic links encountered
make: *** [dep-files] Error 127

TIA

HELP : Compiling linux kernel 2.0.34

Post by Paul Schmid » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to compile linux kernel 2.0.34 that I obtained from a ftp site.

>The problem are, when I do

># make menuconfig

>there was a error

>make: execvp: mv: Too many symbolic links encountered
>make: *** [include/linux/version.h] Error 127

What version of gcc are you using, I have 2.7.0 and had no problems,
compiling the Kernel.

HELP : Compiling linux kernel 2.0.34

Post by Mohammad Bahathir Hashi » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello world.

I compiled 2.0.34 successfully from local terminal (the LINUX computer
itself)

Now I know what happened. I had tried compiling the kernel from REMOTE
X-TERMINAL. My question is, why that kind of things happened?? Is there any
limitation when using remote terminal?

TIA.

1. please help: newly compiled kernel cannot compile (2.0.34 slackware)

Hi all,

i been struggling with this for a week now,

sympton:

newly compiled kernel will not compile anything, only spit a bunch of debug
information at me. sometimes error 1 and error 2.
the error are not the same each time, if i compile a new kernel with it, , the
error is a bunch of debug code, if i compile modules, it's error 1 and 2, if i
compile BitchX, it's ....

this kernel boots just fine. loads everything just fine. it just can't compile
anything successfully.

fixes i tried(no luck):
1. checked all the include file soft links in place (as suggested in HOWTO)
2. re-install all over (a few times)
3. re-install liberaries. (they are all from new slackware 3.5 CD set)

i'm really running out of fix now, will anyone please let me know of any other
things to try?

(by the way guys, it seems that menuconfig won't do it for sound config, use
config will make it work)

i really gota compile ipforwarding and ip maquerading before the semester starts
or i'll have to share one ethernet plug with my roomate. i tried reading dox and
all , will anyone please help, thanks.)

Carol

2. VFAT and group permissions

3. Compiling Kernel 2.0.34 to Kernel 2.2.7

4. slakware install won't recognize 2nd swap partition

5. Problems compiling kernel 2.0.34 on RH5, HELP!

6. cyrillic truetype fonts with xfstt

7. Compiling Linux 2.0.34 kernel with 386 or Pentium option ?

8. 3Com 5C509 not being detected. Help please!

9. Kernel Compile: Problem with 2.0.34 + RH 5.1

10. Make problems re-compiling kernel 2.0.34-0.6

11. Slackware and 2.0.34 kernel compile errors

12. kernel 2.0.34 compile problems

13. 2.0.34 Kernel compile errors!!!