X server unable to find pointing device in laptop with Synaptics touchpad

X server unable to find pointing device in laptop with Synaptics touchpad

Post by Michael Doughert » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It looks as if a few other people have complained about this problem - has
anyone been able to solve it yet?  Basically, I had the touchpad working fine
in RH5.2, (albeit as just a mouse; it did not understand taps or other special
touchpad features).  Now I can't even get it working as a generic PS/2 mouse.

The solution for the moment is just to use an external mouse and ignore the
touchpad, but I would prefer to use the built-in pointer just to have one less
thing to worry about.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Michael Dougherty

"Without censorship, things can get terribly confused in the public mind."
-- U.S. General William Westmoreland

My employer may have taken everything else from me, but not my opinions.