"undefined reference" when compiling ghostscript

"undefined reference" when compiling ghostscript

Post by Richard Simps » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello,
  I am trying to re-compile ghostscript 4.03 on my new Redhat 4.1 system in
order to include support for my new Epson printer.  Unfortunately, I keep
getting error messages at the final link stage as follows:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6: undefined refernce to `create'
followed by several others relating to such things as `siglongjmp',
`umask' and `mkdir'.
  It is clear to me that it is failing to find one of the main libraries, but
I cannot imagine what I am doing wrong.  I installed the source RPM edited
the relevant make files, did a tar_cat and make.
  The ghostscript source tree from my previouse Slackware installation
gives exactly the same error.
  Any suggested solutions gratefully received.
     Thanks
--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

"undefined reference" when compiling ghostscript

Post by Richard Simps » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have now found a solution via good old Deja News in a message from last

Basically, you edit unixtail.mak and change a line near the end from
  ./echogs -a ldt.tr -s - $(EXTRALIBS) -lm
  ./echogs -a ldt.tr -s - $(EXTRALIBS) $(XLIBS) -lm

then find the following two lines in gcc-head.mak and change them to:

XLIBS = -lX11 -lXt -lXext -lSM -lICE
XLIBDIRS = -L/usr/X11R6/lib

Be warned that XLIBS could be defined more than once.

Quite why the RedHat patch which comes with the source RPM doesn't make
these changes is not clear to me.