Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased

Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased

Post by Keegan Al » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:19:32



I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm
wrong?  I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host
maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and
easy to setup/maintain as possible.

In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES
Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various
versions floating around.  Let me know if I'm correct in this:

Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best
Buy or CompUSA
Red Hat 2.1 AS - Advanced Server edition that covers more then 2
processors and more then 4 Gigs of RAM.

But where does Red Hat Enterprise ES fit in?  What version will I
receive if I purchase this plan?  I've seen some folks call it RH 9.0
SE, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

Another item I can't find is an HCL for all the various versions of
RH.  I'm pricing a server now, but I want to guarantee the hardware I
choose is compatible with whatever version of RH comes with Enterprise
ES plan.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or info.  Take care,

Keegan.

 
 
 

Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased

Post by GD » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:17:37




Quote:>I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm
>wrong?  I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host
>maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and
>easy to setup/maintain as possible.

>In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES
>Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various
>versions floating around.  Let me know if I'm correct in this:

>Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best
>Buy or CompUSA
>Red Hat 2.1 AS - Advanced Server edition that covers more then 2
>processors and more then 4 Gigs of RAM.

>But where does Red Hat Enterprise ES fit in?  What version will I
>receive if I purchase this plan?  I've seen some folks call it RH 9.0
>SE, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

>Another item I can't find is an HCL for all the various versions of
>RH.  I'm pricing a server now, but I want to guarantee the hardware I
>choose is compatible with whatever version of RH comes with Enterprise
>ES plan.

>Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or info.  Take care,

>Keegan.

Red Hat ES is limited to 2 processors and 4 gig or RAM.

Garret

 
 
 

Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased

Post by Keegan Al » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:24:55





> >I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm
> >wrong?  I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host
> >maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and
> >easy to setup/maintain as possible.

> >In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES
> >Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various
> >versions floating around.  Let me know if I'm correct in this:

> >Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best
> >Buy or CompUSA
> >Red Hat 2.1 AS - Advanced Server edition that covers more then 2
> >processors and more then 4 Gigs of RAM.

> >But where does Red Hat Enterprise ES fit in?  What version will I
> >receive if I purchase this plan?  I've seen some folks call it RH 9.0
> >SE, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

> >Another item I can't find is an HCL for all the various versions of
> >RH.  I'm pricing a server now, but I want to guarantee the hardware I
> >choose is compatible with whatever version of RH comes with Enterprise
> >ES plan.

> >Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or info.  Take care,

> >Keegan.

> Red Hat ES is limited to 2 processors and 4 gig or RAM.

> Garret

Hi Garret,

This I know.  I can also run the downloaded version using two
processors and 1 gig of Ram (I'm doing it on my home system [grin]).
But I'm curious as to what this version of RH is called.  I've heard
folks call it Red Hat ES, but surely there's some version or name to
it.  Or is the ES version just the downloaded version with technical
support and updates?  If it's the same version and I have no problem
configuring the system myself, then it might be best to get the $349
ES Basic service just to get priority updates...  or use the free
'demo' updates.

This server isn't mission critical... it's for me to run websites on
the side and to make a little extra cash.  Plus, I enjoy web design
and Linux, so it'll be a kind of test server on something other then
my RR account :)

Take care, and thanks for the reply,

Keegan.

 
 
 

Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:40:44






> > >I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm
> > >wrong?  I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host
> > >maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and
> > >easy to setup/maintain as possible.

> > >In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES
> > >Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various
> > >versions floating around.  Let me know if I'm correct in this:

> > >Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best
> > >Buy or CompUSA
> > >Red Hat 2.1 AS - Advanced Server edition that covers more then 2
> > >processors and more then 4 Gigs of RAM.

> > >But where does Red Hat Enterprise ES fit in?  What version will I
> > >receive if I purchase this plan?  I've seen some folks call it RH 9.0
> > >SE, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

> > >Another item I can't find is an HCL for all the various versions of
> > >RH.  I'm pricing a server now, but I want to guarantee the hardware I
> > >choose is compatible with whatever version of RH comes with Enterprise
> > >ES plan.

> > >Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or info.  Take care,

> > >Keegan.

> > Red Hat ES is limited to 2 processors and 4 gig or RAM.

> > Garret

> Hi Garret,

> This I know.  I can also run the downloaded version using two
> processors and 1 gig of Ram (I'm doing it on my home system [grin]).
> But I'm curious as to what this version of RH is called.  I've heard
> folks call it Red Hat ES, but surely there's some version or name to
> it.  Or is the ES version just the downloaded version with technical
> support and updates?  If it's the same version and I have no problem
> configuring the system myself, then it might be best to get the $349
> ES Basic service just to get priority updates...  or use the free
> 'demo' updates.

> This server isn't mission critical... it's for me to run websites on
> the side and to make a little extra cash.  Plus, I enjoy web design
> and Linux, so it'll be a kind of test server on something other then
> my RR account :)

> Take care, and thanks for the reply,

> Keegan.

RHAS 2.1 was based from the 7.2 kernel (roughly). They made other changes to
it also.  If you need support, I would just load up RH 7.3 or 8.0 (consumer
product essentially) and do some tuning.  Then pay for a basic subscription
in order to download updates when you need them (up2date service).

Since RH9 is the newest and you are looking for stability, I would suggest
7.3 or 8.0 and not 9.0.  There will be some shmuck that will inevitably
respond to this with a "I run 9.0 just fine", but that's not my point.  Most
of the bugs in other open source packages have been hammered out for earlier
versions of RH and you'll have fewer headaches over the longer haul.  I
think that RH7.3 is ideal as there was some minor issues with RH8's default
use of UTF8 character encoding.  Otherwise, I would load 8.0 and change the
default lang support in the i18n file:

LANG="en_US.iso885915"
SUPPORTED="en_US.iso885915:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="lat0-sun16"
SYSFONTACM="iso15"

clear as mud? good. :)

ken k

 
 
 

Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:31:31



> RHAS 2.1 was based from the 7.2 kernel (roughly). They made other changes to
> it also.  If you need support, I would just load up RH 7.3 or 8.0 (consumer
> product essentially) and do some tuning.  Then pay for a basic subscription
> in order to download updates when you need them (up2date service).

Or install "autorpm" from www.autorpm.org, which is quite nice about
monitoring the RedHat mirrors for updates.

Quote:> Since RH9 is the newest and you are looking for stability, I would suggest
> 7.3 or 8.0 and not 9.0.  There will be some shmuck that will inevitably
> respond to this with a "I run 9.0 just fine", but that's not my point.  Most

With *all* the updates, 7.3 is pretty stable and considerably lighter
weight. I'm using 8.0 as a standard right now, just because installing
all the updates and backporting some tools to 7.3 (such as httpd 2.x
instead of Apache 1.x) is too painful.

Quote:> of the bugs in other open source packages have been hammered out for earlier
> versions of RH and you'll have fewer headaches over the longer haul.  I
> think that RH7.3 is ideal as there was some minor issues with RH8's default
> use of UTF8 character encoding.  Otherwise, I would load 8.0 and change the
> default lang support in the i18n file:

Oh, yeah....

Quote:> LANG="en_US.iso885915"
> SUPPORTED="en_US.iso885915:en_US:en"
> SYSFONT="lat0-sun16"
> SYSFONTACM="iso15"

> clear as mud? good. :)

This is good. Thanksk for the pointer: I've been just using "LANG=POSIX"
to save grief.