capture screen output during booting

Post by mike » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Is there a way to capture screen output from the kernel during
booting ??

Regards,
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Rasput » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Is there a way to capture screen output from the kernel during
>booting ??

dmesg may do what you need (but that's after you've booted)

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

capture screen output during booting

Post by Perry P » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Just type 'dmesg' after you have booted and logged in.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:57:14 GMT,

>Hi,

>Is there a way to capture screen output from the kernel during
>booting ??

>Regards,
>Mike

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

capture screen output during booting

Post by knos » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

i think you want the log during boot rite?

use dmesg | more

Quote:> Hi,

Post by WesRigh » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Is there a way to capture screen output from the kernel during
> booting ??

> Regards,
> Mike

 Greetings Mike, others have given you some good advice as far as the
dmesg command goes, but here is something you may want to try.

 When the bootup is complete and you're sitting at the login prompt, hit
the right <shift> and <pg-up> or <pg-down>.  It must be the right shift
key and then page-up or down will scroll all the way back to the beginning
of the boot process.

 --Wesley

Post by MH » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > Is there a way to capture screen output from the kernel during
> > booting ??

> > Regards,
> > Mike

>  Greetings Mike, others have given you some good advice as far as the
> dmesg command goes, but here is something you may want to try.

>  When the bootup is complete and you're sitting at the login prompt, hit
> the right <shift> and <pg-up> or <pg-down>.  It must be the right shift
> key and then page-up or down will scroll all the way back to the beginning
> of the boot process.

Now that's cool.  There have been many times when that little trick
would have come in handy.

capture screen output during booting

Post by Kevin Lacquemen » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

<SNIP>

Quote:>  When the bootup is complete and you're sitting at the login prompt, hit
> the right <shift> and <pg-up> or <pg-down>.  It must be the right shift
> key and then page-up or down will scroll all the way back to the beginning
> of the boot process.

I don't know if it's just my computer (Toshiba 300CDS laptop), but both
shifts work for me.

Cheers,
Kevin

capture screen output during booting

Post by Craig A Lebowit » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

FYI -
On my Redhat 6.2 system there's a file, /var/log/dmesg that has the text that /bin/dmesg displays.

craig

Quote:> Just type 'dmesg' after you have booted and logged in.

Post by Jean-Serge Gagno » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > > Is there a way to capture screen output from the kernel during
> > > booting ??
> >  When the bootup is complete and you're sitting at the login prompt, hit
> > the right <shift> and <pg-up> or <pg-down>.  It must be the right shift
> > key and then page-up or down will scroll all the way back to the beginning
> > of the boot process.
> Now that's cool.  There have been many times when that little trick
> would have come in handy.

Try this if you need to capture the current contents of /dev/tty1. You
may want to capture the lines just before the screen clears by putting
this in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

dd cbs=80 conv=unblock < /dev/vcs1

I've found this very usefull when remotely accessing a machine and
needing to see what was on the console.

Of course, the other advice about the dmesg command and the SHIFT-PGUP
are great too...

--

Applications Director         613-225-0516
Newlix Corporation            http://www.newlix.com

1. how to capture text output during program?

I was wondering if there is a simple way for me to capture the output
to the screen generated while I run a program which also requires
periodic user input. Use of redirects is easy, if you dont also
have to answer any questions the program might having during execution.

This would be equivalent to the MSdos Cntrl Print command which automatically
captures what ever comes across the screen and dumps it to the printer. In
this unix case, i would like to save it too a file instead.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS the output is greater than one screen long, otherwise I could just
grab what was on the screem. I am doing this on SGI personal iris.

2. 10 pin RJ-45 male connectors?

3. SUMMARY: how to capture text output during program?

4. Java won't work!

5. Screen capture during installation?

6. UNIXWARE7 & NETSCAPE MAIL & DIRECTORY SERVER

7. screen captures during install?

8. lpha

9. How can I capture the graphic screen images during install?

10. Screen output captured by a script

11. capturing screen output to file

12. Capturing return code while redirecting output to screen as well as file

13. Capturing screen output?