Newbie : SCSI Problem

Post by Peter Parke » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm a newbie who want to install for his first time Linux. I want to
install Slackware 3.6.0 (It's a good version?).
My poor little computer is based on a SCSI adapter from ASUS, the
PCI-SC875, who possess the chipset from Symbios Logic. I can't find the
good driver for this so I use the ncr53c875 boot disk.  The
auto-detection find my Hard disk(seagate), my cd-rom (Ultraplex) but
something weird happen juste after this.It said :

ncr53c8xx_reset : pid=18 reset_flags=2 serial_number=35
serial_number_at_timeout=36
ncr53c875-0:suspicious SCSI data while resetting the bus
ncr53c875-0:dp1,d15-8,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg, c/d
i/o=0x10100,        expecting 0x100
ncr53c875-0:restart (SCSI reset)
ncr53c875-0:copying script fragment into the on-board ram
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 18) timed-out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0

After this, this rebegin with serial 36-37, 37-38, etc...

Do you know why????
If someone who want to help me need more information, just ask about it.

Thanks
SpideY

Newbie : SCSI Problem

Post by Leonzo E. Miller II » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I'm a newbie who want to install for his first time Linux. I want to
> install Slackware 3.6.0 (It's a good version?).
> My poor little computer is based on a SCSI adapter from ASUS, the
> PCI-SC875, who possess the chipset from Symbios Logic. I can't find the
> good driver for this so I use the ncr53c875 boot disk.  The
> auto-detection find my Hard disk(seagate), my cd-rom (Ultraplex) but
> something weird happen juste after this.It said :

> ncr53c8xx_reset : pid=18 reset_flags=2 serial_number=35
> serial_number_at_timeout=36
> ncr53c875-0:suspicious SCSI data while resetting the bus
> ncr53c875-0:dp1,d15-8,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg, c/d
> i/o=0x10100,        expecting 0x100
> ncr53c875-0:restart (SCSI reset)
> ncr53c875-0:copying script fragment into the on-board ram
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 18) timed-out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0

> After this, this rebegin with serial 36-37, 37-38, etc...

> Do you know why????
> If someone who want to help me need more information, just ask about it.

> Thanks
> SpideY

I tried using the 3.6 download and it did not recognize my SCSi  drives.  I
later got the full version of 3.5 with the manuals and in installed fine.

--
Integrated Information Solutions    http://www.logosnet.net
SmartWare 2000 PLUS!              You've tried the rest!

1. Newbie scsi problem

Hi,
      I have a celeron 300 machine running linux slackware 2.0.34.
Installed is an ISA advansys scsi card and a Sony sdt-7000 tape drive.
The problem is that although the scsi card is being detected the tape
drive isn't being found.  below is a dmesg of boot up

scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.1E: ISA PnP 16 CDB: BIOS C800, IO 190/F, IRQ 11, DMA 6
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 4, scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 4, scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 5, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 5, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 6, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 6, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Te
st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : detected total.

I haven't added an append to the lilo file but linux seems to find the
card ok and there is no conflict of dma, irq or io as I can see.

I have tried 3 different scsi cables so I'm sure it's not them.  I've also
tried the drive in another machine with exactly the same setup (kernal
linked scsi setups) and the drive works fine and is detected with the scsi
card in that machine.  Any help would be most appreciated please could you
make explanations simple :) and reply by email would also be good as I
don't get to the news groups much.

--
--------------------------------------

     Kokojo
     http://www.kokojo.com.au
---------------------------------------

2. Oddity in ksh conditional testing

3. Newbie ( SCSI Problem)

4. Adsl Problems

5. Newbie SCSI problems

6. IP-Masq and WS_FTP 6

7. SCSI newbie with SCSI/IDE co-existence question

8. xboard SegFaults.

9. Linux newbie - Problems seting up SCSI devices with RH5

10. Newbie: SCSI Boot Problems

11. Another newbie with SCSI problems..

12. Newbie: Linux SCSI install Problem

13. Setup Problems - PCMCIA SCSI Zip and Swapping to hard disk (newbie)