wu-ftpd: how do I give different guestusers different overwriting permissions?

wu-ftpd: how do I give different guestusers different overwriting permissions?

Post by stev » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 10:08:46



I have an ftp server set up on RH7.2 using the wu-ftpd rpm.  I need to
have a number of guestuser accounts, which I have gotten successfully
configured. However, these guest accounts need to have differing
permissions for things like renaming, deleting and overwriting files.
One specific example is that guestuser  "Authors" specifically needs
the ability to "overwrite" existing files in their area, but guestuser
"Reviewers" specifically needs to NOT have that ability.

The "overwrite" directive in /etc/ftpaccess allows you to specify
permissions two ways: by account type (real, guest, or anonymous), or
by different classes. Since both these accounts are guests, its seems
that rules out using the account type.

Its my understanding from the manpage that different classes are
defined by the source address.  However, both these accounts could be
accessed from a huge number of different places, and even from the
same place at different times.  So that looks to rule out class
differentiation.

It seems like this is a situation that must have come up before.  Has
anyone else solved it?  Is there something I'm missing or not
understanding?

 
 
 

wu-ftpd: how do I give different guestusers different overwriting permissions?

Post by thecra » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:03:20


Use proftpd (www.proftpd.org). Almost no security hole and easier to
configure then wu-ftp


Quote:> I have an ftp server set up on RH7.2 using the wu-ftpd rpm.  I need to
> have a number of guestuser accounts, which I have gotten successfully
> configured. However, these guest accounts need to have differing
> permissions for things like renaming, deleting and overwriting files.
> One specific example is that guestuser  "Authors" specifically needs
> the ability to "overwrite" existing files in their area, but guestuser
> "Reviewers" specifically needs to NOT have that ability.

> The "overwrite" directive in /etc/ftpaccess allows you to specify
> permissions two ways: by account type (real, guest, or anonymous), or
> by different classes. Since both these accounts are guests, its seems
> that rules out using the account type.

> Its my understanding from the manpage that different classes are
> defined by the source address.  However, both these accounts could be
> accessed from a huge number of different places, and even from the
> same place at different times.  So that looks to rule out class
> differentiation.

> It seems like this is a situation that must have come up before.  Has
> anyone else solved it?  Is there something I'm missing or not
> understanding?


 
 
 

wu-ftpd: how do I give different guestusers different overwriting permissions?

Post by Richard Harmonso » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:57:40


I like proftp, but I disagree. Both proftp and wu-ftp are fine services.
I have used both, and did stumble with wu-ftp but that was because at
the time, I was clueless. Both are equally secure depending upon what
version and time we are talking about.

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE



> Use proftpd (www.proftpd.org). Almost no security hole and easier to
> configure then wu-ftp



> > I have an ftp server set up on RH7.2 using the wu-ftpd rpm.  I need to
> > have a number of guestuser accounts, which I have gotten successfully
> > configured. However, these guest accounts need to have differing
> > permissions for things like renaming, deleting and overwriting files.
> > One specific example is that guestuser  "Authors" specifically needs
> > the ability to "overwrite" existing files in their area, but guestuser
> > "Reviewers" specifically needs to NOT have that ability.

> > The "overwrite" directive in /etc/ftpaccess allows you to specify
> > permissions two ways: by account type (real, guest, or anonymous), or
> > by different classes. Since both these accounts are guests, its seems
> > that rules out using the account type.

> > Its my understanding from the manpage that different classes are
> > defined by the source address.  However, both these accounts could be
> > accessed from a huge number of different places, and even from the
> > same place at different times.  So that looks to rule out class
> > differentiation.

> > It seems like this is a situation that must have come up before.  Has
> > anyone else solved it?  Is there something I'm missing or not
> > understanding?

 
 
 

wu-ftpd: how do I give different guestusers different overwriting permissions?

Post by thecra » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:23:21


ok, ok... ;o)
I don't have any Linux certification yet...So I belive in you...
For the certifications competition tou win... :o)
I'm only MCSE and MCSD... damn... :)
I have to do one soon...


> I like proftp, but I disagree. Both proftp and wu-ftp are fine services.
> I have used both, and did stumble with wu-ftp but that was because at
> the time, I was clueless. Both are equally secure depending upon what
> version and time we are talking about.

> --
> Richard Harmonson
> A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE



> > Use proftpd (www.proftpd.org). Almost no security hole and easier to
> > configure then wu-ftp



> > > I have an ftp server set up on RH7.2 using the wu-ftpd rpm.  I need to
> > > have a number of guestuser accounts, which I have gotten successfully
> > > configured. However, these guest accounts need to have differing
> > > permissions for things like renaming, deleting and overwriting files.
> > > One specific example is that guestuser  "Authors" specifically needs
> > > the ability to "overwrite" existing files in their area, but guestuser
> > > "Reviewers" specifically needs to NOT have that ability.

> > > The "overwrite" directive in /etc/ftpaccess allows you to specify
> > > permissions two ways: by account type (real, guest, or anonymous), or
> > > by different classes. Since both these accounts are guests, its seems
> > > that rules out using the account type.

> > > Its my understanding from the manpage that different classes are
> > > defined by the source address.  However, both these accounts could be
> > > accessed from a huge number of different places, and even from the
> > > same place at different times.  So that looks to rule out class
> > > differentiation.

> > > It seems like this is a situation that must have come up before.  Has
> > > anyone else solved it?  Is there something I'm missing or not
> > > understanding?

 
 
 

wu-ftpd: how do I give different guestusers different overwriting permissions?

Post by Richard Harmonso » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 15:25:15


Doh! Well, I have to admire anyone with the patience(sp?) to receive a
MCSE. I decided two months ago to get the MCSA because I have a lot of
time on my hands. I have passed the 210, 215, 216, and will be taking
218 a week from this Friday <fingers crossed>. I have had to fight every
instinct to run to my Linux boxes and play because I am SOOO bored.
Getting your MCSE shows you have more patience (am I spelling that
right? tired) and discipline than I do. Oh, almost forgot. The MCSE
exams are by no means even close in difficulty to the RHCE, but when
grouped together, it is no mean feat to study and pass all seven exams.
You are awesome!

However, I would love to corrupt you and bring you over to the dark
side, uh.. to the light.

:p

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE
http:/www.kinetotech.com



> ok, ok... ;o)
> I don't have any Linux certification yet...So I belive in you...
> For the certifications competition tou win... :o)
> I'm only MCSE and MCSD... damn... :)
> I have to do one soon...



> > I like proftp, but I disagree. Both proftp and wu-ftp are fine services.
> > I have used both, and did stumble with wu-ftp but that was because at
> > the time, I was clueless. Both are equally secure depending upon what
> > version and time we are talking about.

> > --
> > Richard Harmonson
> > A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE



> > > Use proftpd (www.proftpd.org). Almost no security hole and easier to
> > > configure then wu-ftp



> > > > I have an ftp server set up on RH7.2 using the wu-ftpd rpm.  I need to
> > > > have a number of guestuser accounts, which I have gotten successfully
> > > > configured. However, these guest accounts need to have differing
> > > > permissions for things like renaming, deleting and overwriting files.
> > > > One specific example is that guestuser  "Authors" specifically needs
> > > > the ability to "overwrite" existing files in their area, but guestuser
> > > > "Reviewers" specifically needs to NOT have that ability.

> > > > The "overwrite" directive in /etc/ftpaccess allows you to specify
> > > > permissions two ways: by account type (real, guest, or anonymous), or
> > > > by different classes. Since both these accounts are guests, its seems
> > > > that rules out using the account type.

> > > > Its my understanding from the manpage that different classes are
> > > > defined by the source address.  However, both these accounts could be
> > > > accessed from a huge number of different places, and even from the
> > > > same place at different times.  So that looks to rule out class
> > > > differentiation.

> > > > It seems like this is a situation that must have come up before.  Has
> > > > anyone else solved it?  Is there something I'm missing or not
> > > > understanding?

 
 
 

wu-ftpd: how do I give different guestusers different overwriting permissions?

Post by thecra » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 07:49:18


Do you have any information about Linux certification???
What is the best linux certification??
Do you where in Canada I can get Linux certified??


> Doh! Well, I have to admire anyone with the patience(sp?) to receive a
> MCSE. I decided two months ago to get the MCSA because I have a lot of
> time on my hands. I have passed the 210, 215, 216, and will be taking
> 218 a week from this Friday <fingers crossed>. I have had to fight every
> instinct to run to my Linux boxes and play because I am SOOO bored.
> Getting your MCSE shows you have more patience (am I spelling that
> right? tired) and discipline than I do. Oh, almost forgot. The MCSE
> exams are by no means even close in difficulty to the RHCE, but when
> grouped together, it is no mean feat to study and pass all seven exams.
> You are awesome!

> However, I would love to corrupt you and bring you over to the dark
> side, uh.. to the light.

> :p

> --
> Richard Harmonson
> A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE
> http:/www.kinetotech.com



> > ok, ok... ;o)
> > I don't have any Linux certification yet...So I belive in you...
> > For the certifications competition tou win... :o)
> > I'm only MCSE and MCSD... damn... :)
> > I have to do one soon...



> > > I like proftp, but I disagree. Both proftp and wu-ftp are fine
services.
> > > I have used both, and did stumble with wu-ftp but that was because at
> > > the time, I was clueless. Both are equally secure depending upon what
> > > version and time we are talking about.

> > > --
> > > Richard Harmonson
> > > A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE



> > > > Use proftpd (www.proftpd.org). Almost no security hole and easier to
> > > > configure then wu-ftp



> > > > > I have an ftp server set up on RH7.2 using the wu-ftpd rpm.  I
need to
> > > > > have a number of guestuser accounts, which I have gotten
successfully
> > > > > configured. However, these guest accounts need to have differing
> > > > > permissions for things like renaming, deleting and overwriting
files.
> > > > > One specific example is that guestuser  "Authors" specifically
needs
> > > > > the ability to "overwrite" existing files in their area, but
guestuser
> > > > > "Reviewers" specifically needs to NOT have that ability.

> > > > > The "overwrite" directive in /etc/ftpaccess allows you to specify
> > > > > permissions two ways: by account type (real, guest, or anonymous),
or
> > > > > by different classes. Since both these accounts are guests, its
seems
> > > > > that rules out using the account type.

> > > > > Its my understanding from the manpage that different classes are
> > > > > defined by the source address.  However, both these accounts could
be
> > > > > accessed from a huge number of different places, and even from the
> > > > > same place at different times.  So that looks to rule out class
> > > > > differentiation.

> > > > > It seems like this is a situation that must have come up before.
Has
> > > > > anyone else solved it?  Is there something I'm missing or not
> > > > > understanding?

 
 
 

1. Wu-ftpd real users overwrite permission

we're running a wu-ftpd server on our
spar5/solaris2.7
setting it up was easy enough and it works fine
for file
transfers, but the deamon woun't overwrite or
delete
files on the server.

taking a look on the file system newly created
files have all
the right permissions, correct owner and the
sorts.

we had a guy from SUN setting it up and now i
have replicated
the set up myself with the same result: you can
not overwrite
or delete files via FTP on the server.

have anyone had the same problem? any clues?

please don't hesitate to write,

mats

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. cannot mount root

3. wu-ftpd user overwrite permissions

4. warning - receiver ring buffer overrun. ne4 fried?

5. pppd: how to give different ip-adrs to different dial-in accounts

6. 7.2 and gnorpm

7. Can gnome give different background to different workspace?

8. WindowMaker 0.50.2 installed and running!

9. ISO-9660 Rock Ridge gives different links different inums

10. How to give different users/groups different priorities?

11. different sshd permissions for different ports

12. WU-FTPd not giving Directory Listing?

13. WU-FTPD Permission Issues