Ascii text printed landscape on PS printer

Ascii text printed landscape on PS printer

Post by Greg » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

OK, I have...
Rehat 4.2
A Colour Laserwriter 600/12 postscript printer.

I want to print some rather wide Ascii text.
(actually DOS text via Samba & Win 95, but I don't think that's
important)

Printtool lets me set up A4 paper, but doesn't give me a landscape
option,
so I'm a little stuck.  Where in the scheme ot things can I tell Linux
that I
want either landscape, or a smaller font?

In this case the system is obviously ignoring the setup option chosen in

Windows.

Thanks for any help.
Greg

Post by s. keeli » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> OK, I have...
> Rehat 4.2
> A Colour Laserwriter 600/12 postscript printer.

> I want to print some rather wide Ascii text.
> (actually DOS text via Samba & Win 95, but I don't think that's
> important)

Shouldn't be.

Quote:> Printtool lets me set up A4 paper, but doesn't give me a landscape
> option, so I'm a little stuck.  Where in the scheme ot things can I
> tell Linux that I want either landscape, or a smaller font?

I use Debian, and one of the things it installs is apsfilter.  That
leaves /etc/apsfilterrc lying around, and in there are fairly well
described options for high density, single page/sheet printing.  It
works really nicely on things like /var/log/messages.

Quote:> In this case the system is obviously ignoring the setup option
> chosen in Windows.

Eh?  Is that Windows(tm)?  Of course it is, and so it should be.

--

                            TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.

Post by Greg Canno » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> get ``enscript''

> use

> enscript -r your.ascii.file

> will generate postscript file with your text (landscape)and put into stdout
> you can use smaller fonts ( any size :)

Alternatively (this is ugly, but doesn't require any special tools)
load the ascii file into Netscape and print it from there, specifying
landscape.  The only problem with that is that it doesn't wrap text.
If you have lines that don't fit even in landscape, you'll be missing
the ends of them.

        - Greg.

--

CSIRO Land and Water,  Phone:  +61-2-6246-5917
Black Mountain Labs,   "It is better to have loved and lost than to

Post by Greg » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > OK, I have...
> > Rehat 4.2
> > A Colour Laserwriter 600/12 postscript printer.

> > I want to print some rather wide Ascii text.
> > (actually DOS text via Samba & Win 95, but I don't think that's
> > important)

> > Printtool lets me set up A4 paper, but doesn't give me a landscape
> > option,
> > so I'm a little stuck.  Where in the scheme ot things can I tell Linux
> > that I
> > want either landscape, or a smaller font?

> enscript -r your.ascii.file

> will generate postscript file with your text (landscape)and put into stdout
> you can use smaller fonts ( any size :)

enscript looks like what I need.

Now, how do I wire it into the spooler so that win95 users can print to it?

1. 4019 Printer to print ascii files in text mode

I get 3-4 different suggestions and tryed them All of them are working well
The easiest way is to fix this is as Mark Gallion suggested
in seconds but not flexible for other type of filtering needs.
A more elagant way ( suggested by Dave Kinchlea ) is to define a filter like
pr filter in ascci mode.
To do this you are going to use chvirprt. If you run lsvirprt you see all
the obtions of your printer. In my default listing filter options are
missing and when I run chvirprt it say cannot find option ?? . So I edit
the /usr/lpd/pio/custom/psqueue:printer file and add this lines after
:055:__FIL:: line.
Added-----
:264:fc::
:265:fd::
:266:ff::
:267:fg::
:268:fl::
:269:fn::
:270:fp::
:271:ft::
:272:fv::
-----------
Then you can run chvirprt and assign your filter to one of the
above filters.

 of the file from command line and write the output to stdout.)
Only thing you have to do is add -f ? (?=one of c d f .. v) to the
backend program definition in qconfig.
It works and at least this way you can define any kind of filter like
text formatting the same way. But I dont know how the order is choosen
Anyway it is not diffucult to find.

Murat Berk
Physics Dept
Rice University

2. Hauppauge TV-card sound crash

3. ps-printing [was Re: ASCII 2 PS Formatter??]

4. time(), localtime() and memory leaks??

5. Urgent: Printer setup for ascii text on an HP printer ...

6. Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

7. DVD-video display problem

8. How to print text to a ps printer?

9. Printing text to PS printer

10. Printing text file in PS printer ?

11. Command to use for printing 2-column landscape text?