Remote Telnet connection

Post by Patric Schneide » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:30:10

Hello,
my telnet server doesnt work anymore.
Im using SuSe Linux 7.3 and start in.telnetd with inetd. if i try telnet
localhost (or IP) or from another unix the connection get refused.
if i restart inetd and try to connect over telnet i get the message in
/var/log...

telnetd usage: telnet <options>

ok perhaps i have to put some options in the inetd telnetstartline, but it
worked fine till yesterday without options.
i have reinstall the package, but it doesnt work....
any ideas

thanx patric

Remote Telnet connection

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:13:44

> Hello,
> my telnet server doesnt work anymore.
> Im using SuSe Linux 7.3 and start in.telnetd with inetd. if i try telnet
> localhost (or IP) or from another unix the connection get refused.
> if i restart inetd and try to connect over telnet i get the message in
> /var/log...

> telnetd usage: telnet <options>

> ok perhaps i have to put some options in the inetd telnetstartline, but it
> worked fine till yesterday without options.
> i have reinstall the package, but it doesnt work....
> any ideas

Did something wordwrap your inetd.conf when editting it.  The line for
telnet in SuSE 7.3 is:

telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

You might also check your /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny (man 5
hosts_access).  Of course you should block all incoming internet access to
telnet and login with hosts.allow, hosts.deny and/or firewall.  Any
connections from the internet should be ssh instead.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored
http://www.nsscc.com/ - free driver school Friday nights in March

Remote Telnet connection

Post by Raymond Leun » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 06:01:04

Using "yast2 centre" go to the network basic start/stop services and make
active the telnet option, and run "/etc/init.d/inetd restart" it should work
fine.

Raymond Leung

Quote:> Hello,
> my telnet server doesnt work anymore.
> Im using SuSe Linux 7.3 and start in.telnetd with inetd. if i try telnet
> localhost (or IP) or from another unix the connection get refused.
> if i restart inetd and try to connect over telnet i get the message in
> /var/log...

> telnetd usage: telnet <options>

> ok perhaps i have to put some options in the inetd telnetstartline, but it
> worked fine till yesterday without options.
> i have reinstall the package, but it doesnt work....
> any ideas

> thanx patric

Remote Telnet connection

Post by Patric Schneide » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:09:50

> > Hello,
> > my telnet server doesnt work anymore.
> > Im using SuSe Linux 7.3 and start in.telnetd with inetd. if i try
telnet
> > localhost (or IP) or from another unix the connection get refused.
> > if i restart inetd and try to connect over telnet i get the message in
> > /var/log...

> > telnetd usage: telnet <options>

> > ok perhaps i have to put some options in the inetd telnetstartline, but
it
> > worked fine till yesterday without options.
> > i have reinstall the package, but it doesnt work....
> > any ideas

> Did something wordwrap your inetd.conf when editting it.  The line for
> telnet in SuSE 7.3 is:

> telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

> You might also check your /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny (man 5
> hosts_access).  Of course you should block all incoming internet access to
> telnet and login with hosts.allow, hosts.deny and/or firewall.  Any
> connections from the internet should be ssh instead.

> --
> David Efflandt - All spam ignored
> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://www.nsscc.com/ - free driver school Friday nights in March

Thanx  for your ideas.

The problem was leafnode. i dont know why but after i stop the nntp service
and removed leafnode
the telnet service work fine.

but now i got no newsserver  :-))) ill try INN